Removing Electric Start

Questions and suggestions about the forum and club, not about your scoot.

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, Tony

Removing Electric Start

Postby enzobi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:25 am

I've seen that if you remove the electric start that you can get a little more oomph from a 2T. I've looked to see how to do this but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know of a link to maybe a video that shows what to do do?

cheers
enzobi

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Re: Removing Electric Start

Postby Leigh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi Enzobi,

It's fairly simple, there are 3 bolts that hold the top of the starter motor to the engine casings, just beneath where the back of the carb is. Unbolt these, take off the starter motor, disconnect the wires that go to the starter.

One thing you MUST do though is block off the hole left where the starter motor used to go through. we normally do this by making a blanking plate and bolting this onto the casings with the hole the starter motor was held on by. The wires which go back to the battery can be removed at a later stage, but make sure you tape them off.

Next you can remove the starter button from your headset. It's just 2 screws on the underside, snip off the wires, tape them off and push them back inside.

You can also remove your battery now, though you might need to change your horn for an ac one.

I think most of the gain you are hearing about might be related to removing the starter cog from your flywheel. To do this you need to remove the flywheel and take off the toothed ring which goes around the outside of it. There are a few methods people talk about, but I find the best is to VERY CAREFULLY cut through the ring off.

That might all be a bit simplified, but that's the basics of it.

Any queries, let me know!!

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Postby bob » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:57 pm

SIP sell a rubber plug for the starter motor hole, http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/plug+estart+hole+for+vespa+_7823j000 or you can buy a blanking plate http://www.lambretta-teile.de/Cover-plate-for-starter-motor-hole-Vespa-PX-T5-LML or as Leigh said, make one yourself
bob

Scooter: 150 5-port LML Star
Yamaha Passola SE
James SC4 150cc
Piaggio Zip 125 4T in bits

Postby enzobi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Many thanks for the info. I might try it when it warmsup a bit.
enzobi

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Return to Using the Forums - Questions & Suggestions About The Forum