Indicators that can't be seen

Non scooter related chit chat.

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, Perth John, Ian-R

Forum rules
A polite reminder taken from the full terms agreed to by each user at registration: "This is a public forum which is solely for use by members of the LML Owners Club of Great Britain. There is no commercial advertising or promotion allowed anywhere on this website in any form or by any means whatsoever. Failing to comply with this request will lead to immediate disqualification of membership. You agree not to post any commercial advertising, commercial promotion, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “LML Owners Club Great Britain - Forums” is hosted or International Law. Thank you in advance of respecting our request."

Indicators that can't be seen

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue May 10, 2016 6:51 am

Is it me or are modern car indicators a bit crap? I was sitting at a junction yesterday looking into the sun, trying to work out if of any of the cars were indicating to take the junction just before the one I was emerging from. Some did have them on but they just were not clear enough to be seen alongside daytime running lights. Suddenly an old Morris Marina came by with its old fashioned orange indicator clearly visible! Technology eh?
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Re: Indicators that can't be seen

Postby Bowcastle » Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 am

I agree they are crap - the buses are the worst where the indicator is within the light and it's really hard to tell if it's indicating or not
Bowcastle

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue May 10, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm glad it's not just me. Drives me nuts.
Lusciousthelock

Postby NICK » Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 pm

A lot of modern vehicles use leds, from directly behind they can be seen,but off to one side you'd swear blind they ain't working.Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby marty r » Thu May 12, 2016 6:48 am

Totally agree. Indicators on many modern cars are v hard to see. But I never act on what car driver indicates they will do, only on what they actually do.

Another bug - number of one-eyed monsters. V common now. Back in the day you'd have got pulled by the polis for this. Not any more, apparently
“If you fight you won’t always win. But if you don’t fight you will always lose” Bob Crow.
marty r

Scooter: GP150
Star 125

Postby Lusciousthelock » Thu May 12, 2016 2:31 pm

To be fair with the one headlight thing. With my last new car, the front bumper had to be removed to change a headlight bulb. Some 25 bolts underneath the car to be precise! Manufacturers should be held accountable though. Its the same as people who feel the need to drive with their fog lights on but only one works anyway? Why??? :lol:
Lusciousthelock

Postby p0stscript » Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Lusciousthelock wrote:To be fair with the one headlight thing. With my last new car, the front bumper had to be removed to change a headlight bulb. Some 25 bolts underneath the car to be precise! Manufacturers should be held accountable though.

Wasn't a Renault by any chance?, because my wife's was a dog to change the bulb.

Lusciousthelock wrote:Its the same as people who feel the need to drive with their fog lights on but only one works anyway? Why??? :lol:

Only a half foggy day?
p0stscript

Scooter: LML 125 DLX
Lambretta Li 125S
CPI Bravo 125

Postby Lusciousthelock » Wed May 18, 2016 6:36 am

Actually my car at the time was a Kia Picanto, dull car but all it cost me in 11years was two sets of tyres, two full services, one cam belt and a headlight bulb! I thought Renault would make the headlight bulb thing quite easy since they love to enforce that one in France?
Lusciousthelock

Postby NICK » Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 pm

I've got a long held theory the French build easy to work on Renaults and Citroens for their home market, and build special bastard models for the UK. Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby p0stscript » Thu May 19, 2016 4:44 pm

NICK wrote:I've got a long held theory the French build easy to work on Renaults and Citroens for their home market, and build special bastard models for the UK. Cheers

Probably true, law to carry spare bulb in France but you haven't got a friggin hope in changing it on the roadside on wife's Modus.
p0stscript

Scooter: LML 125 DLX
Lambretta Li 125S
CPI Bravo 125

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sat May 21, 2016 2:48 pm

I think I suffered from this myself today in Tesco's car park. So many mini roundabouts and despite me indicating and riding a bright red scooter, everybody just pulled out in front of me! An indicator problem or scooter blindness?

Can't wait to change these lamps to orange.
Lusciousthelock

Postby N0SEY » Sat May 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Try and make eye contact if you can, gives you some idea if they have seen you but there are many that just treat you with contempt and will pull out knowing that you have no choice but to slow down or stop. Waste of time the THINK BIKE posters up in our area at the moment. Think it was you waiting at the top of Bloors lane am today ;)
N0SEY

Scooter: LML star 125 2T unrestricted

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sat May 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Yep was me, been past a few times today, making adjustments then testing it out. Had a lovely ride down to Leysdown as it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Still having clutch issues after an oil swap to a lighter grade, so that little hill there at the lights on Bloors is a nightmare lol.

I always stare back at the buggers, but lately I've found the need to shout too! (not like me at all.)
Lusciousthelock

Postby Philos » Sat May 21, 2016 9:33 pm

We have the same problem in Australia with drivers seemingly ignoring motorbikes... I ride with the mindset that everyone around me is a potential idiot and could possibly carry out the most stupid manoeuvres seen to mankind. Plus I always ride with the headlight on now.

We had a campaign (probably similar to your Think Bike campaign) years ago over here - it made little to no difference to the mentality of drivers.
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sun May 22, 2016 7:26 am

I'm sure its a scooter thing though, as Its never this bad on my Bike. It does happen but somehow the scooter is extra invisible (We should sell the technology to the Ministry of defence).

Both my bike and my scooter do not have off switches for the headlamps, so permanently on which is law here in Europe I believe. Its a bit like a Health and Safety study we did at work. People get used to seeing the lights so ignore them. That's why pink Hi-viz makes you more visible than yellow- because you see so many yellow about these days and ordinary people don't wear pink! Also why vehicles shouldn't be driving along with amber beacons on, like Dust carts for example as when they are actually working and needing the amber warning, people will simply not notice them.
Lusciousthelock

Return to General Chatter