Another Old Fart returns

Non scooter related chit chat.

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, Perth John, Ian-R

Forum rules
A polite reminder taken from the full terms agreed to by each user at registration: "This is a public forum which is solely for use by members of the LML Owners Club of Great Britain. There is no commercial advertising or promotion allowed anywhere on this website in any form or by any means whatsoever. Failing to comply with this request will lead to immediate disqualification of membership. You agree not to post any commercial advertising, commercial promotion, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “LML Owners Club Great Britain - Forums” is hosted or International Law. Thank you in advance of respecting our request."

Another Old Fart returns

Postby hippriest » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:04 pm

Well, been a long time, chaps......

Still here, still got me '09 Star. I had a few problems over the last few months: me scoot kept cutting out after a mile (almost always exactly that). Happened about 3/4 times; quite embarrassing. After tapping up my local back street scoot mechanic he suggested it was overheating (as it always started again after being left about 10 mins) and recommended a new stator plate, HT lead & plug. I got them all off Ebay then he said he had no van (he's about 4 miles away) so I took them to my very local car mechanic and he fitted them. Seems to have done the trick, touch wood. Very scoot friendly, my local mechanic.

Been a bit of a "Summer Horriblus" tbh. Can't remember so much shyte happening to us. Not long after coming back from Gran Can in late April I succumbed to a feckin horrible bout of anxiety & depression. I hadn't been anywhere near that crap since 2004 & it has been a right bastard. Stupidly, last November, I stopped taking my meds after being on them for years & years.....I felt in a good place & thought I could do without. Big mistake. Then in the Spring I had 3 or 4 fairly major "life events" happen that totally shagged me. One of these was a major argument with my sister......and guess where it all kicked off? Feckin' Facebook! I take back everything I said about it - I'm still on it but VERY wary.

I had 7 weeks off work, had very little sleep for about 3 weeks, lost about a stone (the one positive of all this!) and managed to to a fair bit of DIY that was badly overdue. I also sort of became my mum's carer - she's been paying me to make up a bit for my lost car-shifting wages but tbh she's driven me feckin' nuts. Oh, & I've read about 7 books on anxiety depression!

Happily things have eased up a bit & I think I'm about 60-70% back to my old self. I'm back at work & hopefully on the mend.

Anyway, sorry if this has bored anyone - I've been a bit reclusive the last few months & it just feels good to get it off my chest & venture back into the wider world.

Hope everyone is OK, Steve
Good things come to those who wait
........but sh*t pretty much turns up straight away.

(Rich Hall)
hippriest

Scooter: LML Star 2T 125cc (re-badged as Vespa)

Re: Another Old Fart returns

Postby tipper » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 am

Sorry to hear all that Steve,ive been in a very similar situation for the last year and a bit. I was off work but had to go back because I couldnt survive on sick pay. I am currently on a waiting list that I have been on since February,waiting to start treatment.

Have you read reasons to stay alive ? Its a great book.

Im on the max does of venlafaxine at the moment,its helping but I hate the way it makes me feel and keep thinking about coming off it.

Onwards and very slowly upwards !
tipper
Site Admin

Postby NICK » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Welcome back fellow filth purveyor. Sure it wasn't caused by lmlgb withdrawals?! Like you and Matt I've been there about 4 years back.Good luck with everything (and Matt!).Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby hippriest » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks guys, that's really supportive.

Matt, I have indeed read Reasons to Stay Alive.....that was one of the 7 I mentioned. And I agree that it is a fantastic book....the only problem was that I lapped it up in about 48 hours & didn't want it to end! The other 2 I would fully endorse would be:

Underneath the Lemon Tree - MARK RICE OXLEY, and

Shoot The Damned Dog -SALLY BRAMPTON

A good thing on Amazon now is that you can click a button to have a preview audio sample (usually 3-4 paragraphs) & that's what convinced me to buy "Reasons".

Both the above are autobiographical and as you liked Reasons To Stay Alive, I'm pretty sure you'd like those two..... very raw & intelligently written.

Had my best day for about 2 months today, so as you say, "upwards & onwards". Hope you see some improvement yourself, naturally.

Rgds, Steve
Good things come to those who wait
........but sh*t pretty much turns up straight away.

(Rich Hall)
hippriest

Scooter: LML Star 2T 125cc (re-badged as Vespa)

Postby Laurie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:43 am

Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you again mate, its seems as if we are all having a totallly crap year.

I have been away for a few months due to various problems and I can really relate to what you are saying. I am currently off my feet due to breaking and dislocating my left ankle. I have also ruptured the main ligaments so I am looking at a 15 week down time. I am only 2.5 weeks in and im pulling my pubes out.

Scooter wise I have come to a flying stop. I have the gem I want but have got no idea what I want to do next. Maybe a light restoration?
My mate said to me recently that I have been in this game 30 years and never had a Lambretta. All Vespas. Maybe its time to try? Think I would rather a fully restored one and just enjoy riding it.

Anyhow, it looks as if myself, Matt and some of the usual gang are still around so always happy to natter.

Hang in there fella.

Laurie
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Postby GoonerKev » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:19 am

Welcome back Steve, not the same without you mate ;)
GoonerKev

Scooter: LML 180 2T 2004

Return to General Chatter