If you own a 4t buy this sponge air filter!

For 125, 150, 151, 200 cc Geared scootters

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, tipper, Tony

If you own a 4t buy this sponge air filter!

Postby Ginger Phil » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:58 pm

I was chatting with Micky the other day about this. Basically I bought his 4t 125 which had a Gianelli exhaust and a RamAir sponge air filter already fitted. Those two items combined give the scooter a really nice rumble sound whilst going through the gears and a constant rumble whilst holding it steady in 4th. It's nice & loud too without being stupidly loud.

Anyway, a few days ago I took the sponge filter off a re-fitted the standard pipe...

I started the scoot up and there was still a bit of a rumble thanks to the exhaust but it seemed a bit quieter. I rode a mile up the road and couldn't believe it, once in 4th gear it sounded like a fecking 4 stroke!!!!!!! :o :lol: Gone was the gorgeous rumble to be replaced by a tinny, whiney, horrible 4 stroke engine noise. :evil: I rode back home and put the sponge filter back on pronto! 8-) It's surprising how much difference this air filter makes, I just can't imagine enjoying the scooter as much if it sounded like that, they only cost fifteen quid too.

http://www.lmlparts.co.uk/cgi-bin/store ... 03&uid=188

Fitting is a piece of piss, one jubilee clip, it's a one minute job plus cleaning is also easy. I did mine with a £1 can of air from Poundland. :D
Ginger Phil

Scooter: 2008 LML 2t

Re: If you own a 4t buy this sponge air filter!

Postby Skoot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm

It really is horses for courses Phil. I love a quiet standard scooter irrespective of make or model. When I go on long journeys i.e. > 50 miles, The loudest thing is wind noise and that's perfect for me tbh :) When I am with my mates on their kitted scoots, ts1's etc I often wonder how they can put up with the drone for hours, I would find it very fatiguing. I love iconic Scooters for being scooters that's it for me, really never got the noise or smell thing. Probably why the 4T was a no brainer to me :D
"An LML 4T is not just a quality Scooter, it's a right of passage"
Skoot

Scooter: * LML 150 4T
* Lambretta TV175 S2

Postby mickyboy73 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:18 pm

The best thing about that air filter Phil is the ease of getting to it when you service the scoot. I have never tried it but I hear the standard Air Filter is a bit of a pain to get to. :(
mickyboy73

Scooter: Vespa PX 125

Postby Ginger Phil » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 am

Yeah i was going to attempt it but when i looked i thought WTF? :?
Ginger Phil

Postby kingjim92 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:07 am

hi phil can you put on some pics as to how the thing fits and how it looks as im thinking about fitting one thanks
kingjim92

Scooter: lml 125 4t metalic red
piaggio x8 125

Postby Ginger Phil » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 am

No probs, i'll take a pic when i get home from work this afternoon. :)
Ginger Phil

Postby Ginger Phil » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Here are a couple of pics. The first is a side-on view, you can see the sponge filter behind all the wires and to the right is the jubilee clip...

And here's a top-down view which shows the jubilee clip a bit better...

And it's as easy as that. Pull the old pipe off, fit this sponge filter, tighten the clip, job done! It sounds a hell of a lot better now, more growly rather than tinny.
Ginger Phil

Postby Geezer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 pm

What's the intake like without this? Is it still piped from under the seat like the 2t?
WARNING! Some slogans on the merchandise may cause offence.
Disclaimer: My posts are my personal views, they might not always be fact, but they are certainly my opinion!
Geezer
Site Admin

Scooter: 2008 LML Italia 2T Black
1961 Vespa VBB 200
1984 Vespa PK125S
On the hunt for a new project.

Postby kingjim92 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm

thanks for the pics sorry to be a pain in the arse but if i fit just this filter with no exhaust will it effect the scoot in anyway such as becoming boggy or anything cheers
kingjim92

Scooter: lml 125 4t metalic red
piaggio x8 125

Postby Skoot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:01 am

Any tweaking from standard carries a risk. Tbf this is more so with 2 stroke. If your 4t is under warranty I would leave well alone.
"An LML 4T is not just a quality Scooter, it's a right of passage"
Skoot

Scooter: * LML 150 4T
* Lambretta TV175 S2

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:21 am

Skoot wrote:Any tweaking from standard carries a risk. Tbf this is more so with 2 stroke. If your 4t is under warranty I would leave well alone.

I agree,if you have any major,expensive engine problems it would be a shame if your warranty was voided just because you fitted a filter to make your scooter sound better !
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Ginger Phil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Are you guys for real? Have you owned 4 strokes before? :lol: They're nothing like 2 strokes, that's not to say a 4 stroke engine won't feck up but you're not going to seize up simply because you've changed the air filter. :roll:
Ginger Phil

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Ginger Phil wrote:Are you guys for real? Have you owned 4 strokes before? :lol: They're nothing like 2 strokes, that's not to say a 4 stroke engine won't feck up but you're not going to seize up simply because you've changed the air filter. :roll:

I havnt owned 4 strokes before but I have owned LML's before and know not to take the fact that my engine is running for granted ! :lol:

Lambrettaman has suffered some kind of engine (probably crank) failure as have a fair few others in the USA.

If my crank fails which as its an LML is always a possibility, I dont want have to fork out for an expensive engine rebuild just because I voided my warranty by changing my air filter.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Ginger Phil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 pm

My one has done about 4000 miles and plenty of those with a different exhaust and filter. These aren't 2 stroke engines, you lot worry far too much.
Ginger Phil

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Some of the scoots with failed cranks have done less than 4000 miles.

Its not really worrying to much, if I swapped my air filter and then the next day a weld in my exhaust broke (which is fairly common on the 4T's) I would have to fork out for a new exhaust and they're not cheap.Where as if I hadn't messed with the filter I would get a new exhaust for free under warranty.

You could of course switch the filter back before you took it to the dealer :lol:

I would rather know that if something breaks it will be fixed for free than have a scooter which sounds a bit nicer.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Ginger Phil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I see what you're saying about putting stuff back to standard in the event of a warranty claim but are you really saying fitting a sponge air filter will bugger up the engine??? :shock: :?
Ginger Phil

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 pm

No thats not what I am saying at all !

I am saying that its an LML, stuff is going to break, it could be small stuff like the indicators or it could be big stuff like the crank.

By changing something so small like the air filter, just to make your scooter sound better you are voiding your warranty meaning that when something does break (and it most likely will because its an LML) you have to pay for all the parts an labour to get it fixed.

Imagine if you bought a 200, rode it home fine and swapped the air filter for a ram air one. Then you went on a longer ride and noticed that you had the 200 fuel starvation/carb problem, nothing to do with the filter BUT because you have swapped the filter over you have no warranty and you are on your own.You have to pay for a new carb for your brand new scooter.

But at least it will sound nice when you eventually get it fixed !
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Ginger Phil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Which is why I said...

Ginger Phil wrote:I see what you're saying about putting stuff back to standard in the event of a warranty claim

....but fitting a sponge air filter will not harm the engine simple as that.

My scooter isn't under warranty so warranty claims are neither here nor there for me. If something like the crank failed within warranty then of course you'd put everything back to standard, the same goes for an aftermarket exhaust you may have fitted.
Ginger Phil

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Nobody has said that fitting a sponge filter to the engine will harm the engine .....

Not everyone would know that fitting a different filter would void their warranty and so wouldn't know to switch everything back to standard before going to a dealer with a warranty claim.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby mikey 69 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:50 pm

my local dealers are really good. as long as they get my servicing they honour my warranty
including a basic derezz from new then going to a simonininini
some just do not want to know fullstop
mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Next

Return to LML 4 Stroke - Geared / Manual Scoots