Genuine Stella (LML 150) upgraded to 187cc of "fury"

Post pics of rallies, ride outs and anything scooter related. Try to keep the chat to a minimum though guys, this is a gallery section after all.

Moderators: Geezer, bob

Forum rules
This section is for posting your scooter related pics and not really for discussions, so keep the chat to a minimum and the pics to a maximum.

General rule of thumb... the first post of a topic must contain photos.

Genuine Stella (LML 150) upgraded to 187cc of "fury"

Postby DRC174 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Hey all,

My wife's Stella, which looked like this at the end of last season, had a leaky oil seal, clutch side, so an engine rebuild was in order.

With the rep. of the LML cranks, we thought: might as well do... everything.

Setup was going to be:

Polini 177 Cast-Iron (I have a thing for "oldschool" stuff)
    Worb5 60mm crank
    2mm spacer underneath the cyl.
    Gickspeed DR head
    MRP Reed intake
    PHBH30 carb
    Malossi Vespower ingition
    Pipedesign Cobra exhaust
    BGM Superstrong CR80 clutch with 22 teeth

Before:

After:

Inbetween: (Yes, yes, everyone has their own "oh sh1t don't do THAT!" when it comes to teardowns and rebuild. Sit back, relax and enjoy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPXs8LcWtw&t=1s

Then we got the hubs coated and cleaned up the paint. Warning: You can scratch Stella paint with your fingernails.

New, black trim

Parts finally came in:

Break!

JB Weld work (I ended up redoing this one, had a bad mix. Stir until your arms fall off, kids!

It was well needed!

Reassembly time:

Measuring time!

Ended up with the following timings:

out of the box with 2mm spacer underneath and Gickspeed head:

176.5° / 125.5° with 1.35mm squish at 9.7:1

So then I had to retouch the cyl, opened it to 67% and cleaned out the exhaust. This picture is before the final touch. (Turns out taking pictures of an exhaust port is more complex than I thought...)

So I ended up with 185.5° / 125.5°, giving me the perfect blowdown. How did I reach this so exactly? Re-assembly and standardized measuring, OVER AND OVER again.

Final assembly and re-integration into the frame:

It fired up on the second kick

[youtubehd-1ml-sfF3IwY]

I then spent a whole freakin' saturday cleaning up the mess that is the Stella wiring.

Ready to go:

First ride blew me away, vicious and violent little scooter!

Here is a quick preview. Currently running still too rich, waiting on filter. Tube to the frame was a dumb idea. Also still on the Stella stock clutch with 21 teeth, waiting on the BGM, by the end of this week.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGvK-5w6mNs

A full video on the re-assembly in detail will come and my thoughts on my measurememnts. A dyno session is in order soon as well.
DRC174

Scooter: Stella 150

Re: Genuine Stella (LML 150) upgraded to 187cc of "fury"

Postby DRC174 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:33 pm

t is first Rally of the season. I went all in on the Stella, even put the shocks from my P200 on. Clutch is mounted. It is 2am. I am leaving at 4am. Yay?The yellow headlight is not staying but it is more a necessity right now.

Clutch first

Then Shocks

Then everything else.

From the small rally today!

we drove back and forth to Cairo, WV for the 2017 Cairo Days, a small,m intimate small town rally and let the Stella rip a little bit. I partook in the Cairo Fest parade with the bike which I considered basically my break in period.
My wife even got some time in on it and is more than excited. I chased her on another Vespa and I could just not keep up, she took off.

Conclusion on the bike:

The new BGM Superstrong is amazingly smooth, the power is now controllable. Stiffer shocks made a huuuuge difference in "wheelie-ability", the front wheels now stays more or less down and you can get the power on the road. Connecting 1-2-3 in power band is probably the most fun I ever had on any bike. It makes you work for it, but the payoff is amazing. Beware of the bridge in Cairo. I hit powerband just off the bridge and got some serious airtime. And clearly, yellow headlights will stay a signature for my wife and me.

DRC174

Scooter: Stella 150

Return to Gallery