Engine problem

Everything for those who like to "twist and go".

Moderators: Geezer, tipper, Tony, Administrator

Engine problem

Postby moxy73 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:30 pm

20180527_191644.jpg
Hi guys,I'm new to the 4t scooter scene as always had 2t.
Ive purchased a 65 plate 4t auto,after along run yesterday i Had a rattling noise coming from the front variator. Upon investigation I found that the plate and fan where spinning on the shaft, the plate is a new upgraded one from tasso as the original one broke and are known for it. It looks like the threads on the shaft have worn(see photos). Any info or ideas on what to do. Does the shaft spines look totally done? Is it a big job fitting a new crank.
moxy73

Scooter: 2015 lml star auto

Re: Engine problem

Postby Harps18TV » Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Moxy,
No one has replied as yet, & I`m not sure what the layout is on your bike, but I`ll stick my neck out.
If the first photo is the bore on the fan showing what`s left of the splines then I would probably go down the engine rebuild route - presumably all the metal shavings are in the engine somewhere & need to be cleaned out. Even the splines on the shaft look a bit suspect & I would say it depends on what you use the bike for as to what you do. If you rely on it, then you know an engine rebuild makes best sense. If not, play with it if you are able with thread lock/bearing seal/plastic metal even, to see if you can tighten all the bits up together, but looking at it, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
I don`t know what sort of job it is to get a new crank put in, I guess a lot depends on how adept you or your mates are & what tools you have to hand.
Good luck with it.
Harps18TV

Scooter: 1960 Lambretta TV 175 Series 2, 2013 Star 200 4T & 1990 Honda 90.

Re: Engine problem

Postby moxy73 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi,thanks for reply aye the first picture is the part that sits on the shaft spines,and is completely worn flat.
It looks like an engine rebuild but not really done ac4t before just 2 strokes. I'll have to have a look further into it
moxy73

Scooter: 2015 lml star auto

Return to LML 4 Stroke - Auto / Twist and Go Scoots