My struggle every morning. Any help?

Everything for those who like to "twist and go".

Moderators: Geezer, tipper, Tony, Administrator

My struggle every morning. Any help?

Postby Mortadelo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 am

Hi guys!
I hope somebody could watch this video and tell me his opinion.

Every morning, when I try to start my bike I have to face this situation: the engine won't never (ever) start at the first time. I always have to press the start button and throttle a little bit at the same time. Sometimes this will work at the second or third try. But if the temperature is very low (even inside the garage, where she sleeps), I'll need to repeat this many times.

My knowledge in mechanics is near 0, so I recorded this video so you guys can listen the different noises and maybe tell me what's going on. I got the bendix fixed (the bike is new, less than 1000 kms, and they cleaned it in the first revision, with 500kms because of similar ignition problems). I think this worked for a while, but now it's happening again. So before I go back to the workshop I'd like to poll youre opinions here.

I hope I've explained myself well and somebody here could please help me a little, even if I'm not from the UK but a proud member of this comunity and owner of a LML! :D

And the video itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNGAXcePvwM
Mortadelo

Scooter: LML Star Automatica

Re: My struggle every morning. Any help?

Postby mikey 69 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Check starter motor isnt sticking and battery is ok. Lots of short journeys can drain your battery
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Mortadelo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks Mikey!
Battery checked, and it's fine. That was muy first thought too...
Mortadelo

Postby MrGrump » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:44 pm

My auto is 3 years old and has been like this from day one.

I now never attempt to start it with the electric start on a morning...I always use the kick start on a morning (starts 9 out of 10 times when it's been used recently, need a few more attempts when it's been stood for a week or two). If I go to work on it, I always find the electric start works perfectly when I'm coming home, usually around 9 hours later.

I don't think it's just yours (or mine), I think it's just a foible with the auto.
MrGrump

Scooter: LML Star Bi Colour

Postby Mortadelo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am

Man, I'll ask you for an autograph if we ever meet! How can you start it with the kickstarter 9 of 10 times?? I can't, and I even end up sweating...

Last friday I took it to the mechanic's and yesterday he told me that they'll have to change the bendix or the battery. That it's not a common issue, but they've seen it before in other bikes. If they manage to fix mine, I'll tell you what they exactly did.

But seriously: How do you start it with the kick start?? Is there any trick?? I'd really like to start it that way
Mortadelo

Postby MrGrump » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:02 am

The knack to kick starting it is to not do a traditional 'horse kick' style (where you're astride the scooter and kick backwards with your leg).

If you stand behind and to the left of the scooter, do a 'push kick' on the kickstart (if you have a back rack fixed it helps as you've got something to hold onto). You don't need to hold the throttle at all...provided you have the tick over set properly (when it's been stood for a while [ie more than a week] I tend to have the seat lifted so I can regulate the tick over once it's started).

I took my auto out of the garage on Sunday for the first time in 2 weeks...it started on the second or third kick.

If it's been stood for longer than say 3 or 4 weeks without being started (over winter mine isn't started as often) then it can take a few periods of kicking to get it started (around about 5/6 kicks then leave it for 15/20 mins if it doesn't start otherwise you flood the engine)...again, have the seat up and keep adjusting the tick over cable once it fires.

Perseverance is key (and I can certainly relate to the sweating bit...it's knackering when you're kicking for a long period!)...good luck & let me know how you get on.
MrGrump

Scooter: LML Star Bi Colour

Postby Mortadelo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 am

Thank you very much for this MrGrump! I swear I'll try harder next time...
I only managed to kick start it once, but it was after a ride and when it still was "warm". Never again...

For a 10/10 , you should post a youtube tutorial. "so XXI century" ;)
Mortadelo

Postby B31 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Hello from France
I have an LML auto since 2013 and never faced your issue.
What i advice you
-change the sparkplug ( indian Bosch under license on original equipment (
-before starting, twist 15 times the accélérator and then use the electrical starter
B31

Scooter: LML 125 Automatic

Postby Mortadelo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 am

Merci beaucoup!
When I talked to the mechanics I told him about the spark plug, and he said that it might not be the problem...
He told me that it should be the battery or the bendix, so they'll work on them.

I'll update you if there is any news...
Mortadelo

Postby B31 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm

De rien :)
Try the twist tip , it worked with my LML Auto ..and the sparkplug change is useful , I fitted an NGK and since that day no more (real) starting issues
B31

Scooter: LML 125 Automatic

Postby Mortadelo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 am

Actually, I use that "twist tip" because it's the only way it works. But I thought that's not supposed to be the desired behavoir, so that's why I took the bike to the mechanics.
Yesterday I talked to them and they told me that it might be the battery -that is not giving enough power- or the relay.

I hope they'll fix it soon, because we have a sunny forecast for these days and I'm missing it!
Mortadelo

Postby Mortadelo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Finally I have my bike fixed. They changed the bendix with a new one, and when I went to take it back home, the spark plug didn't work well.... I started laughing there, because I thought I was never gonna take my bike home again... But the guy replaced it with a new one and problem fixed!!

When I was about to leave, the mechanics said: "I hope you win the lottery so you can buy a "real" Vespa".... :lol: :? :|
Mortadelo

Return to LML 4 Stroke - Auto / Twist and Go Scoots