Let's chat about Scoots?

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Let's chat about Scoots?

Postby Laurie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:34 am

Guys and Gals,

Seeing as your'e all asleep still let's start a conversation on our best and worst ever scooters. I am talking about ones that you have owned. :P

So, make, model, how you came to own it and why it was (is) your bestest ;) and of course the same for your worst! :evil:

I'll start if you like. Funny enough, the best scooter I have had is the one I have got now. Its my Baccarrat green Vespa PX200. Its stupidly low mileage, immaculate and one of the last of the PX's in 200 form to be made. I think they managed 396 of them before the guillotine came down. I bought it from a respectful chap in Braintree, Essex and he basically bought it, serviced it and rode it only occasionally. It really was like a garage find! :D
The colour is lovely and its a real head turner when dressed up for the party. One to keep me thinks and I have not seen one like it since. I tried to start a Facebook page just for Baccarrat green PX's - all to no avail though! :lol:

Now to my worst! A Mk1 PX200 that I bought from a Scooterist off Ebay. 1st mistake. :roll:
It had a lovely shape but it had basically been puffed over with Halfords flip paint to bling it up. The engine was average and needed a sort out and the parts were from various scooters. When I stripped the carb all the jetting was from a 125 and the filter was missing. :o The clutch had T5 plates in and was ripping like a piece of paper and the front brake (Cable type) wouldn't stop a fart in the wind. Basically a death trap! :twisted: Why did I buy it? Needed a winter project. :geek:

I set about restoring it and spent a fortune getting straight to pass its MOT. After if flew through the test I then rode off knowing that I had done a good job. Then on the way home someone changed lanes without warning and edged me off. So I took him to court and the judge (creep) was more sympathetic to the driver! :x :x Gave him the case saying that I was not safe to overtake - which of course is what I wasn't doing. :x :x
Fundamentally though it was a classic story of a scoot that was not meant to be. I then simply broke it for parts and sold what I had at a big loss.

So there we have it .....

So who's next? ;)

Have sweet dreams not wet ones!

Laurie
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Re: Let's chat about Scoots?

Postby Leigh » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:42 pm

HI Laurie,

Great post mate!

I'll pick up the batton, but as I've only ever sold one scooter and I'm yet to have a bad one, I'm going to have to use other peoples scoots as the worst ones I've known (and there are a lot!!!) Maybe we could expand it slightly to include scooter stories? (your choice, I'm not trying to hijack the thread!!) That way I could tell you about the freshly restored, peacock blue, SS180 whose rider sent it down the road without a rider!!

Anyway, My best scooter is the one in my profile pic. It's an LML NV, but badged and registered as a Vespa PX. Due to the engine number, someone on here mentioned that they were made for Vespa Spa and a few were imported from Spain or something. It's kind of a greeny, goldy, grey, which is a standard LML colour. I bought it from Portsmouth as a standard 125 and have only really added some crash bars and a flyscreen externally. The aesthetics aren't what I love about it though, it's the engine. It's now a well sorted 177cc Polini, but in all it's guises it's been faster than the average. As a 125 it was ok, it was then a 150 5-port which outdid any P200 and carried the missus and myself (thick end of of 30 st) all over the place without a niggle, now as a 177 Polini it will happily mix it with 172cc T5's and kitted 200's. The best bit though is it's reliability, it really is a workhorse. It has never missed a beat and does whatever it's asked without any fuss. It's affectionately known as The Motown Express and I don't treat it particularly well, but I always have absolute confidence that it will start and get me anywhere.

Worst scooter I've come across is difficult as I see soooo many bad ones, or, more accurately, badly put together ones. Probably one of the worst was a VBB to which a supposed scooter restorer (who will remain nameless) had done a PX front fork and PX Engine conversion. The engine had been Malossi'd, ported to death and a big carb whacked on it, which ran like a bag of s***. The choke had been mackled to a big bit of metal and a wire coat hanger under the seat, the front fork conversion was so bad that the shock was jamming the wheel, the engine was mounted out of line etc etc etc.... It was so bad that we fixed as much as we could and advised the bloke to cut his losses and sell it as a project to someone, which he did. You can imagine out dismay when a few weeks later a friend of a friend wheeled said VBB back through the door and proclaimed "look at this I've picked up, she's a cracker isn't she!!??" Anyway, he decided that he was going to keep it and get it fixed up and after a new engine, a large box of parts, plenty of welding and a respray it's now a very respectable little scoot. There aren't really bad scooters, just bad mechanics!!

It might also be interesting to start a topic on what projects people have got on the go.... I'll do it now!!

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Postby Laurie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:57 pm

Blimey! What a story!

It makes for such good reading all this and it goes to show that there are dogs that bite out there!

Keep the stories coming guys and gals, Leigh has knocked up a storm of a story there so who's going to take over the baton from him?

"I love the smell of two stroke in the morning"

Laurie
Laurie,
Laurie

Postby madmog » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 pm

My wife and I had parents who were dead against motorized two-wheeled transport of any kind so it wasn't until we got together in our '30s that we encouraged each other to get something for commuting. I narrowed my choice down to a secondhand typhoon or a PX. I swung round to the PX as they aren't popular with the yoof that steal things and the gears drum brakes and no electric start mean that any thieving scumbag won't get it started or will hurt themselves when the front drum brake doesn't stop them in a way they would expect.

My wife got a 50cc 2T Habana. it got nicked and burned out. We got a police report that it was seen in some s&1thole estate but by the time i got there it was burned to a cinder. All that was left looked like a bin bag with a dead cat in it. Such are Habanas; a frame with a lot of retro-styled abs plastic. So, much cajoling the distraught other half and she got another Habana, this time a 125 4T in as new condition. No more 2 up on a 50cc through C.London as she doesn't have a full licence. Anyhow that 2nd Habana also got nicked. My old Vespa next to it was untouched. As having a scoot stolen in London puts your insurance through the roof, the second scoot was insured 3rd party only - the excess cost was more than £1000 on TPFT but the bike was only worth £1000. Ie cheaper insurance and save the money for the next bike rather than blowing over £1000 on the excess. The sickening thing, the little scumbags at the bus stop were taunting us and knew who had the scooter but the police sitting in the car up the road didn't want to know as there was a knifing somewhere.

Now, since the scooter was insured third party only, my wife never relinquished ownership to an insurance company as she never claimed. About a year after the theft we got a letter saying to contact the DVLA as someone was trying to claim ownership of the scooter. Long story short, the scooter was recovered by the POLICE a few weeks after being stolen & who then forgot to contact my wife then put into an auction. The new 'owner' tried to register which triggered something at the DVLA.

The law is a bit odd here, in this scenario the scooter legally belongs to the new owner so the police paid out the value as it was their mistake.

So, if you're thinking from these tales that these two Habanas are the worst scooters then you'd be wrong. A few years ago, and 10 years after she last had a habana she decided to get another Habana and fell in love with a £500 one in the next borough. My professional opinion was sought and I said it was a piece of crap so she bought it anyway. As her CBT had run out I was to pick up and drive back to Essex but low and behold the elastic band variomatic thing snapped a few hundred yards from the sellers house. So we[strike]took it back[/strike] manhandled it into the back of our estate car where it leaked oil everywhere. We got that sorted at a motorbike place locally and it ran okay since. BUT all the MOD roundels (on a Habana!!!!!!!! :( ) hid divot scrapes in the plastic. The plastic bits are rubbish quality held together with self-tappers. The chrome bits are chromed plastic which has peeled off. And finally the kickstand when up is quite low and ripped the bottom bit of door threshold out of my shed after I'd replaced much of the crappy plastic with Ebay bits reinforced with epoxy and wire.

In terms of looks and handling Habanas are great. Compared to a PX they are made of cheap quality material that isn't meant to last and isn't made to be serviced by the owner.

In contrast my Vespa and LML never let me down.
madmog

Scooter: LML Star Via Toscana 125
Vespa P125X 210 Malossi
MZ ETZ 250

Postby Laurie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:28 am

Yea a nice write up.

It just shows that all scooters have their woes and the LML by comparision is pretty much bullet proof. As often the case with them its either the dodgey wiring, cheap nasty components or owner abuse that breaks their reliability mould. :twisted:
The engines however are superb and I stand tall when I say that an LML engine with PX components with an LML paintjob can provide a serious scooter! :geek:

Keep the stories coming guys, we need to be active on here to keep our beloved LML forum alive and kicking. ;)
There are many subjects to discuss so maybe once this topic is covered we can have a chat about any of the following -

Best journey
Worst journey
Tips and Tricks
Tools that you can't do without
Best scooter shops
Nicest person you've met on the scene
Best Mod clothes shop

or ...... get this .... favourite LML Owners Club member and why! :lol:

lots to go on there chaps and chapesses so get busy! :idea:

Laurie in the house!
Laurie,
Laurie

Postby tipper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Still got a 2t sitting in bits in my garage which I thinking about selling (have been for years) my daily ride is my matt black 200 4t that I did the America trip on. It just flew through its first MOT and is yet to let me down.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby NICK » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Any more endurance / sightseeing trips arranged Matt? Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby tipper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Hopefully a trip around Europe this summer depending on money. I'm signed off work for six weeks at the moment because or my mental health so im not sure what the situation will be when I go back.

Head case,

Tipper.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Tipper Ure,

Hey fella, really sorry to hear your off colour so to speak :( hope you get back on track soon. :P

The Euro trip sounds a great idea! Or maybe a rebuild project for your garaged scoot? :idea:

Please feel free to message me anytime if you want to chat n that?

Best wishes

Laurie
Laurie,
Laurie

Postby Robby » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:20 am

tipper wrote:Hopefully a trip around Europe this summer depending on money. I'm signed off work for six weeks at the moment because or my mental health so im not sure what the situation will be when I go back.

Head case,

Tipper.

Whats this?????? You dash across America, meet me halfway, and still have, uh, things that bother you too much?

I thought you left that part over here........com'on my friend......dwell on the good stuff......lotta dogs think highly of you too....as do I.

Back to scoots,

No bad ones, just different degrees of good ones.
My Stella (LML) 150 2t has been a excellent example over thirteen thousand miles......on its third set of tires and I changed the clutch cable this fall.....I could see it fraying at the lever. Replaced the battery three years ago.

I do tend to inspect/adjust/ and overmaintain somewhat and the Stella rewards with no surprises.
A couple of instrument bulbs signed off during the season.....we are now in winter....I'll be changing all the instrument bulbs to LED this spring.

Rob
Robby

Scooter: 2009 Stella 2t 150
LML Star 2t 150 on your side of the pond.

Postby tipper » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Robby wrote:
tipper wrote:Hopefully a trip around Europe this summer depending on money. I'm signed off work for six weeks at the moment because or my mental health so im not sure what the situation will be when I go back.

Head case,

Tipper.

Whats this?????? You dash across America, meet me halfway, and still have, uh, things that bother you too much?

I thought you left that part over here........com'on my friend......dwell on the good stuff......lotta dogs think highly of you too....as do I.

Back to scoots,

No bad ones, just different degrees of good ones.
My Stella (LML) 150 2t has been a excellent example over thirteen thousand miles......on its third set of tires and I changed the clutch cable this fall.....I could see it fraying at the lever. Replaced the battery three years ago.

I do tend to inspect/adjust/ and overmaintain somewhat and the Stella rewards with no surprises.
A couple of instrument bulbs signed off during the season.....we are now in winter....I'll be changing all the instrument bulbs to LED this spring.

Rob

It followed me back Rob ! Its been a long hard battle since I got back. I need to get back out in the middle of nowhere again.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Philos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:08 pm

One thing I've always loved about the Piaggio designed scooters, whether it's a Vespa or LML, is the mechanical design. It's a work of art. The simplicity, reliability and durability of the design is something we don't see in other vehicles very often. It's no surprise the basic design hasn't changed much in the last 60 years or so, because they got it right very early on. After all, they were designed by aeronautical engineers! They're also relatively 'mechanic friendly' too, which is always a welcome surprise.

Piaggio as you all probably know is an aeronautical engineering company. They still make components for many different types of aircraft. I used to work at 'The Flying Kangaroo' (Qantas) as an aircraft maintenance engineer for many years and often I'd see a component box with 'Piaggio' stamped on the side. They've always built reliable, well designed aircraft and components - and scooters of course.

I think LML have done a great job at building their scoots. Except of course the electrics..

Cheers

Philos

PS: I broke my arm last week so my LML 150 restoration has taken a rest. Things were progressing nicely and I've got a bunch of new parts (mainly rubber bits) to fit and work to be done..... and I can't. This is frustrating! Maybe in a week or 2 I can give it a shot..
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related