Insurance

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Insurance

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:33 am

Hiya,

I'm trying to sort out insurance for my new scooter. The quotes I've been getting have been fairly sensible, but all of the top ten insurances on my list want 600 pounds plus for excess??? That's crazy. Even Hastings who I have two bikes and two cars insured with want 600+ MCE wanted 1100 pounds for a 2000 pounds scooter- Crazy! I did get a quote for 89 pounds fully comp - with 800 excess. Madness I tells ya!

If I had an accident, that's half a months wages gone. Not that I've ever had an accident, but you never know.

Anybody recommended?
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Re: Insurance

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:41 am

I just did another quote online for Third Party Only which gave me cover from 81 pounds. No excess and no thrills. I certainly wouldn't want to make a claim anyway, since any money you claimed would end up being paid back over the next 5 yrs in insurance premiums. Guess I'll just make sure it doesn't catch on fire and keep it bolted to the floor! Crashing is for wimps anyway lol.

Do these scooter's get commonly stolen or do the youth of today prefer a twist and go? Have to admit I'm a bit paranoid about taking it shopping and having it wheeled into the back of a van and away.
Lusciousthelock

Postby blackrat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Have you tried Bennetts? I got mine for £78 comprehensive with no no-claims bonus and £100 excess. I am an old git though ;)

Cheers,
BR
blackrat

Scooter: LML Star 125 2T Red & Cream

Postby mikey 69 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Fairly middle aged and pay around £100 fully comp, £50 excess
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Lusciousthelock » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:04 pm

I'll give them a call. I'm 36 and been riding for 5yrs, driving for 18yrs. God that makes me feel old lol. Scooter's in a locked garage and I only said I would do 2k a year as I've got other bikes and cars to play with, this is hopefully just a toy!
Lusciousthelock

Postby Laurie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:57 am

I used to be with Lexham but was called away on urgent familly health matters. Subsequently I missed my renewal - albeit 3 days.

They then said that policy was no longer valid so would have to take out "new" even though I was an exhisting customer with no change in details. My insurance went from £97 fully comp with a £150 excess to a staggering £325 with £300 excess. I argued the toss to the team and then the department above them and their sympathy to my cause was not only shunned but was rudley received!

So I reported the case and their behaviour to the Insurance ombudsman for abuse of procedure and mis-use of the policy.

2 weeks later a full apology and offer of my old policy back. Within that time I beat the quote by a tenna with Bennetts with better terms and
I then exposed Lexhams practices in Classic Scooterist Mag and copied in Lexhams CEO.

When dealing with these companies there is one thing in life that is always worth sticking by - It takes years to build a reputation but moments to destroy it.

Stand up to company brutality - it can pay dividends.

Laurie
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Postby Lusciousthelock » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:18 pm

Yes I agree. I had problems with an insurance company once where they phoned me at work and told me my policy was due for renewal so I asked when, as I was at work and had no access to my paperwork. They told me 12:00 noon that day. I would get a discount if I signed up there and then- cash back all that jazz despite being 75 pounds more than the previous year. It all sounded dodgy to me, so I carefully rode home from work with no insurance only to discover I had two months to run! Plus I was sick of the constant Spam email's and junk mail through my door. Wouldn't want to name them... Swinton.
Lusciousthelock

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related