Michelin S1's and handling

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Michelin S1's and handling

Postby blackrat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi,
I haven't owned my scoot very long but I had some S1's put on it as an upgrade for the standard LML nylon tyres. They seem fine grip-wise but they do seem to follow every little groove on the road which makes for some twitchy rides. Has anyone else found this or is it just because I am new to scooters?

If you have found this, is it just the tyres or can you make a difference with air pressures ect. Do the tyres just need running in? The roads round here are seriously rubbish but at 40-45 it is a very wobbly. On better tarmac, no problem. I always try and avoid white lines, road arrows ect but these really make the tyres do odd things. I do like to lean into bends, so no suggestions for square section tyres please but I think I will change these as soon as I've got some miles out of them.

Cheers,
BR
blackrat

Scooter: LML Star 125 2T Red & Cream

Re: Michelin S1's and handling

Postby madmog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 am

S1s are good tyres, pressures a massive difference so check that pressure is correct. Also try spinning each wheel to see if it is running true. You shouldn't be getting 'wobbly'.
madmog

Scooter: LML Star Via Toscana 125
Vespa P125X 210 Malossi
MZ ETZ 250

Postby Leigh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:49 am

Hi,

I have always used S1's and I really like the ride that they give. I prefer to run them at slightly higher pressures than most though, 35 in the rear and 30 in the front. That said, I am the best part of 16st!!

I think as long as your pressures are ok, most of what you are feeling is down to being on small wheels. Check that the rims are on the right way too, I've seen a fair few that aren't!! One side is thicker than the other.

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Postby blackrat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. The problems only happen with tram lining on the rubbish roads, on smooth roads they are fine.

The wheels seem true and properly fitted, so I think I will mess around with tyre pressures to see if I can find something that suits my weight.

Cheers,
BR
blackrat

Postby blackrat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:38 pm

Took the whiskers off my tyres before going for a ride today, wow what a difference that seemed to make. Roundabouts have officially become fun.

So I take back my previous comments. I haven't tried them in the rain yet, but then again I don't intend to. What sort of tyre pressures do you guys run at?

Cheers,
BR
blackrat

Postby mikey 69 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:15 pm

18/22psi front and 26/32psi rear
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t