New scooters

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

New scooters

Postby flymo3 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Hello

Well darn it I think my cover has been blown - I'm the girl on LML Facebook with the new white 2T 125 Last Run with a clutch issue

Just a forewarning even though these things can happen with anything,
Please check your scooters upon delivery straightaway and if something is awry get it back to the dealer

My dealer knew of the issue and tried to shake it off. I just don't think they want these scooters on their hands for very long! They certainly mostly seem disinterested in LML despite endorsing :P

Anyways, will update further once I have a FIXED scooter hehe

Flymo
x
flymo3

Scooter: LML Star 2T 125

Re: New scooters

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue May 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Keep us posted. I should get mine on Thursday and will have to ride it twenty miles home from the dealer, so I should no by the end of that if something's wrong!
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby Lusciousthelock » Thu May 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Not a bad ride. the gearbox is very clunky- gonna take some bedding in / getting used too and my horn doesn't work. Haha it begins :D

Did you get your clutch issue resolved?
Lusciousthelock

Postby Bowcastle » Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 pm

flymo3 wrote:Well darn it I think my cover has been blown - I'm the girl on LML Facebook with the new white 2T 125 Last Run with a clutch issue

I'm not on Facebook - what was the problem with your clutch? I have to take my new Last Run back to dealer tomorrow as the clutch is snatching so badly it's almost unrideable - and I've got an oil leak :x
Bowcastle

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Postby flymo3 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 am

Hello

My clutch is also snatching - totally unrideable aswell, I let me grandad with over 50 years riding experience on it and he couldn't control it at all.
Also leaking a tiny bit of oil also.

may I ask what dealer you bought from? Mine was in Scarborough...
Dealer came all the way down to Colchester to pick it up and he couldn't control it either (why deliver it if it has a problem?!)

It's back at dealer for repair at the moment and LML have told him he can have whatever he needs to get it fixed...

:)
flymo3

Postby Lusciousthelock » Fri May 06, 2016 12:46 pm

My clutch is snatching badly in 1st when pulling away. I've just come back from a nice ride through the towns covering 90km. I have to pull away at idle speed slowly feathering the clutch or it hops, skips and bounces. I think it may be getting better though? I've been trying to slip the clutch a lot so it bed's in a bit. Worst bit is in town traffic on slopes and hills which caused me to wheelie more than ones as I gave it a little more gogo juice.

Considering its still restricted though, it does run well. I saw 50mph at half throttle today on a hill, but mostly kept it to a max speed of around 40 on the open stretches.
Lusciousthelock

Postby Bowcastle » Fri May 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Took it back to dealer today (Chas Mann in Birmingham - they were very helpful and I recommend them) The oil leak was from the base of the two stroke oil tank which hadn't been secured properly at the factory and was easily remedied. The clutch was adjusted to bite sooner and the mechanic (who has a scooter) was able to pull away with no problems - on the way home it was OK at first but started snatching/hopping madly again - so I don't know if it's just me not being used to the clutch but it does seem to get worse the longer I ride it for?? I've ridden mopeds and bikes since 1979 and never had any clutch problems like this.
Bowcastle

Postby flymo3 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Mine snatches very badly in 1st, shoots forward making a grinding noise and sounding like the back wheel is skidding but its not the back wheel lol
Also cannot just pull away as it stalls no matter how hard you open the throttle after reaching the eventual biting point

Just does wheelies, like yours. And ive only ridden a 50cc auto ped before so I haven't even tried this yet!
Do you think its getting better?

They actually think my clutch is broken inside...

Are you on Facebook? Post a video of the clutch snatch on the LML owners site? :)
flymo3

Postby Bowcastle » Fri May 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Lusciousthelock wrote:
Considering its still restricted though, it does run well. I saw 50mph at half throttle today on a hill, but mostly kept it to a max speed of around 40 on the open stretches.

That's really good going. I briefly got to 50mph on a flat run today but the mechanic said that after about 1000 miles they do loosen up and go a bit quicker. I'm looking forward to derestricting all the same.
Bowcastle

Postby Bowcastle » Sat May 07, 2016 9:40 pm

I decided to put a magnetic drain plug in the new scooter and drained the oil (after covering only 75 miles) - surprised at the amount of metal particles floating in there and glad I put the magnetic plug in sooner rather than later
Bowcastle

Postby Hugoagogo » Sat May 07, 2016 11:34 pm

Has anyone bought a last run without a dodgy clutch? I should pick mine up next week, not holding out much home I won't be taking it back to get the clutch sorted. :evil:
Hugoagogo

Scooter: LML Star 2T

Postby Hugoagogo » Sun May 08, 2016 10:18 am

Bowcastle wrote:I decided to put a magnetic drain plug in the new scooter and drained the oil (after covering only 75 miles) - surprised at the amount of metal particles floating in there and glad I put the magnetic plug in sooner rather than later

Could you post a link to the magnetic drain plug you fitted please.
Hugoagogo

Postby Bowcastle » Sun May 08, 2016 10:37 am

I got it from Wasp https://www.wasp-performance.co.uk/onli ... g-Set.html it came pretty quickly. You can prob get them on Ebay too
Bowcastle

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sun May 08, 2016 11:44 am

I've spent yesterday derestricting mine (Only to stock with stock PX exhaust) but due to the dodgy clutch and my dealer going on holiday for two weeks, I've decided to look at upgrading the clutch to a Cosa 2. Going to try a couple of oil flushes and an adjustment first though. I can pull away without skipping, but not at much more than idle speed which is impossible on hills or slight gradients. The horn still doesn't work but haven't investigated why yet either. I've also noticed I lost the rear reflector from the back bumper at some point too.

On the plus side, it's lovely to ride and cruise the town on (as long as I don't have to do a hill start). Everybody seem's to stare as you go past, which is a bit creepy lol. Despite the teething problems that I was prepared for, it's great fun, wish I got into scootering earlier. I'm also compiling my next list of upgrades. I've got orange indicator lenses on order and then I think I may get a tall screen as got a bumble bee to the face at 40mph yesterday- ouch! :D

Still haven't tested how the derestriction has gone yet though, as I've had to get my jack from my brothers to jack the scooter up to remove the rear wheel to get that last exhaust bolt out (I would let the air out the tyre but don't own a pump). I think it will bog down at higher speeds due to not having changed the air corrector from a 160 to a 140, but curious how it will run as is. Obviously I'm going to do a few plug chops along the way too.
Lusciousthelock

Postby Bowcastle » Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 pm

I'll be interested to follow your progress with the derestrict and esp the clutch upgrade as I was thinking of the same. I know what you mean about the stares..! There seems to be an affection/interest for these vintage scooters and I feel lucky to have got one of the last 2 strokes to be brought into the country brand new. Scootering does seem fun - even my son who rides a Harley said it seemed like fun when he had a go on it (he also couldn't pull away without clutch snatch). Please keep us posted about your progress with the modifications
Bowcastle

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sun May 08, 2016 7:17 pm

So, the de-restriction seems to have gone okay-ish. It's running very lean so will need a 100 main jet, may even go to a 102. The scooter ran perfectly but a plug chop showed it was very lean. I also ordered the 140 air corrector I was missing over the 160 stock item (Top of the stack).

It turn's out that despite me working out I've done nearly 200km on my scooter, the speedo cable snapped at a mere 91km. I didn't notice until I looked down to see if I achieved a higher top speed lol. So I'm wondering if I suffer all the common faults, I should order a new coil plus bracket, stator and cdi. Oh and a battery strap before I upgrade the clutch and fit better tyres haha!

To be honest, I don't mind, it's what I bought it for and the ride was great in the sun today. Hope the thirty miles I did with a lean mixture didn't do any damage- that plug was very grey.
Lusciousthelock

Postby Hugoagogo » Sun May 08, 2016 8:16 pm

Does the 2T come with standard SAE 30 gearbox oil from new or an oil with additives to help the running in process of the gearbox, which is what my Duke engine oil was, it needed to stay in for 600 miles. Just asking as wondering when to drain the oil to fit a magnetic plug.
Hugoagogo

Postby Bowcastle » Sun May 08, 2016 9:34 pm

I don't know if it comes with running in oil - never heard of it tbh - perhaps you could buy some for your refill if it's readily available? But after seeing how much metal is swilling around in that oil after less than 100 miles I'd say a magnetic plug is better in there sooner rather than later regardless of oil type.
Bowcastle

Postby Lusciousthelock » Mon May 09, 2016 7:34 am

It does sound like a magnetic plug is a great idea. Guess I'm ordering one of those too.
Lusciousthelock

Postby Bowcastle » Mon May 09, 2016 10:14 am

OK I'm happy now that the clutch isn't dodgy - it was just my dodgy technique :roll: The LML clutch is fine - it just takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. I've been practiscing starts/hill starts in a local car park (thank you Gala Bingo) and I can pull away smoothly every time without any grab/snatch at all. Maybe changing the oil helped too - but to be honest I think the fault was with me and not the clutch.
Bowcastle

Next

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related