Bored...

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Bored...

Postby DapperDan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 pm

....with my new 5 port already. Done about 300 miles now and given up being gentle with it. Feels like its loosening up nicely all things considered. But, I came across a road near me that I had never been on and good god it got steep, like REALLY friggin steep. 11% gradient going up and god only knows going down the other side. Felt like Eddie the eagle at the top of that ski jump. Point is, It was like I was riding my asthmatic 125 again on the way up and was really surprised at how crap it was. Bloody scooter could barely manage 20 in 3rd. Wish I'd gone with a pinasco now. Not very impressed at all. I'm feeling a bit sheepish now after posting about how it will fly up the steepest of hills with ease.

Maybe I just need to tweak a few things before contemplating spending money on a proper kit.
DapperDan

Scooter: lml star 150 2t

Re: Bored...

Postby tipper » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:54 pm

What exhaust do you have fitted ?
tipper
Site Admin

Postby DapperDan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:33 am

Standard exhaust. There's my problem right?

I planned on running it in with this and changing to a SIP road in a month or so but now I'm wondering if I should bother and instead just ditch this top end and go for something with more balls. On the flat its great. Throw it at a steep hill or into a moderate headwind and it quickly shits itself. I expected more from it to be honest after reading so many glowing write ups.

As for the mileage done so far (300 miles) yes that's low as far as running in is concerned but I never do the whole 700 miles thing. 30 mph for 100 miles followed by frequent short journeys at 45/50 mph with a cool down of 30 minutes in between. Its all about heat cycles and has served me well every time. The scooter will now easily run at 55/60 for an hour at a time with no problems.

What I have now gives me 5 more mph but still struggles with headwinds and hills almost as badly as the 125 did so a bit of a disappointment so far.

Would fitting a better exhaust be worth it and massively increase performance? I'm having doubts tbh.

Edit: got stuck behind some doddery old Muppet yesterday who decided to stop on a busy road for no reason at all and when he finally got moving I rode off again realising that I' d pulled away from a standing start in 3rd gear :o so the engine is Torquay at low revs to say the least. What's happening to all that torque the rest of the time when I just want to get up a steep little hillock? The revs very quickly drop faster than when it was a 125. Something's not right and it can't just be the exhaust at fault.
DapperDan

Postby tipper » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Fit the sip road 2 now,it will make a big difference and then you can still use it if you decide to fit another kit.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby NICK » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:14 pm

I wouldn't swap my 150 set up. Mines a 2006 5 port non-reed with a simmoni pipe and up jetted carb with a px airfilter. Have you also removed the "tea strainer" filter under the saddle on the air intake? Mine flys even 2-up.Will sit on 60mph and crack the wrong side of 70mph.Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby DapperDan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Cheers Tipper, might give that a go first before going down the pinasco/polini route.

Nick, yeah done the whole derestricted thing when I bought it years ago. Mines the reed valve one with the bigger ports so you can maybe see why I'm not overly impressed at the moment. Right now the jetting goes 40/130, be5 and 98 main. The scooter doesn't run well if I change anything so I've stuck with this setup for now and it starts first kick every time, accelerates well and feels nice and smooth. So far though its barely better than a 125 as far as the hilly bits and headwinds are concerned so for the money and effort not really worth it. I was initially happy enough with it when doing the first couple of hundred miles but only because I didn't test it out on any steep roads or strong winds because I didn't want to work the engine too much. I'm gonna have to look at this a bit more to work out why its struggling so much. Like I say, I doubt the exhaust is the only problem. Maybe I was just expecting too much. If things don't improve it'll be a pinasco or sold. Getting a bit tired of the constant disappointment and empty wallet. Big bike might suit me better.
DapperDan

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related