Back on the road..

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Back on the road..

Postby Philos » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:05 am

Hi all...

Finally we're moving into some nicer weather over here in Melbourne Australia and I'm so looking forward to getting back out there on 2 wheels. Last week I managed a little spin on the 2005 150 2t I picked up a little while ago. It's only done 150 kms, so I'm running her in still. Living in 'the hills' is the ideal place to clock up some k's. It's been many years since I've ridden a scoot on the road and I was surprised how alien it felt to get back on. Still, I used to ride a lot so I don't think it'll take long to get back into the groove.

Getting used to the 'new' disc brake will take some time. I don't remember having so much stopping power from my old Vespa 150 super lol. It's really a case of take your time and chill out while I get used to riding again. Well at least that's the plan....

The engine seems pretty gutless atm to be honest - I figure it'll loosen up a fair bit over the next few months and maybe me finding some technique in driving the 2 t will help as well.

Can't wait for the next warm and dry day!!!

Phil
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Re: Back on the road..

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Has in been derestricted? Does it still have the cat and what are your local regulations on such things? Simple things may make it a bit quicker, but yes mileage will make it loosen up nice.
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby DapperDan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Would appreciate some of that lovely Oz weather especially through the months ahead. Our climate in the UK really is shite most of the time.

You should take a gander at the various derestriction threads here and get spannering mate. You won't believe the difference a little bit of work will make and its a great way to learn how your scooter works.
DapperDan

Scooter: lml star 150 2t

Postby Philos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Thankfully it hasn't got any of the cat gear on it.. it's just a standard old type exhaust.

I may look into a zippier exhaust a bit later down the track but I'd like to get a couple of thousand km's on it before I do. I'll be nice to it for a while :)

I love the design and I'm getting back into the feel of the scoot but there's definitely a couple of things I really don't like. The seat doesn't feel comfortable at all. I'm looking into trying to score an old tractor type seat. I used to have one of those on the old Vespa and it was so comfortable. Also the plastic handgrips are shockers - so I need to get them off and find some nice rubber ones. The plastic ones actually transmit a small amount of vibration through them! Gotta go asap!

I've already replaced the Indian tyres with some K62 whitewall Continentals. The Indian ones can go in the bin where they belong! I like a bit of a chunky tread pattern - I live on a dirt road and so do most of my friends. I had a horror crash on a pushbike years ago which had slick tyres on, so I've got a bit of a phobia going on there around slicks.

Another thing I'd like to do soon is get a magnetic g'box drain plug in there as well. That's a no-brainer to me. There're hard to find in Aus though, so I'm thinking I might have to make one. I'd also put holes through both the fill plug and drain plug so I can lock wire them together.

Yeah I think we're pretty lucky over here weather wise. Winters are quite cold (for us) but it's really only a few months of crap then we start getting some nice days again.

Phil
Philos

Postby DapperDan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Here ya go, postage might cost ya though.

https://www.beedspeed.com/vespa-engine- ... 4q234oasg4
DapperDan

Postby Philos » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 am

DapperDan wrote:Here ya go, postage might cost ya though.

https://www.beedspeed.com/vespa-engine- ... 4q234oasg4

Hey thanks very much for that. I ordered a set! 4 pounds for postage to Aus is very reasonable. I tried a couple of sites a little while back for these bolts and one wouldn't ship to Aus and the other wanted around 20 pounds for shipment!! I also tried a local scooter parts shop and they didn't stock them... I really appreciate your help here DapperDan.

Sure beats stuffing around making a set.

Cheers

Phil
Philos

Postby DapperDan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Happy to help Philos. That postage is a surprise.
DapperDan

Postby Philos » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 am

Yep DapperDan.. it did look too good to be true. When the invoice was sent the postage went up to 13 pounds. I sat on that for a few days thinking of alternatives but finally bit the bullet and went for it.

I'm thinking the bolts ought to be gold plated and diamond encrusted.. after all, they will end up costing me 19 pounds or so!!

Oh well... that's the way the mop flops some days.
Philos

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related