Tool Kits and Spare Parts

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Tool Kits and Spare Parts

Postby Philos » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 am

Hey all.. I'm in the process of getting a little kit together with a few tools and spare parts, and I was just wondering if you'd mind sharing what you have in your kit? Is there anything you wouldn't want to leave home without? And are there any special tools or spares you carry?

To put this in some sort of context... Over the next 6 months I'd like to take a trip or 2 maybe a 100 or so kms for overnight stays at friends houses, then back the next day type thing. Maybe a bit longer we'll see.

In the way of spare parts..

I have all the cables and spare nipples covered.
I just read its a good idea to carry a spare plug, so I'll grab one of those soon.
A bottle of 2t oil always comes along for the ride.
Globes? Not sure.. maybe a headlight globe wouldn't go astray.
I always seem to carry pieces of wire too.. Like a small length of strong flexible wire that can hold up an exhaust for instance, and a couple of pieces of electrical wire can come in handy.

Tools..

Got the plug socket with 13mm on other end
I'll throw my leatherman in as well, so I've got pliers, screwdrivers etc
Spanners - a couple of 8mm plus 11 mmm covered.

Any other essentials anyone has in their kit? It's a bit of balance really isn't it? Don't want to get too paranoid or obsessive, but at the same time I don't want to forget something that's often needed.

I've got this idea of ripping out the battery (and the starter) and using the battery space for a little storage area for a few spare parts and maybe the tool kit as well. It'd be great to keep the glovebox relatively empty so I can fit more in like shopping and whatnot.

Cheers

Phil
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Re: Tool Kits and Spare Parts

Postby mikey 69 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Innertube if you arent tubeless. Small handpump. Indicator bulbs, rear light bulbs. Coil. Wd40. Electrical tape and good pliers
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Lusciousthelock » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:33 pm

I don't carry much, but pliers are a must and a small socket set (everything between 5mm & 14mm in the box). A torch, two cable ties, flat head and philips screwdrivers and a roll of electrical tape along with the plug spanner and spare plug. I never bring 2t oil as I have a reliable autolube and know its good for a few hundred miles atleast if the tanks brimmed. I don't worry about bulbs, have arm signals if desperate and a torch if things get silly! :twisted:
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby Philos » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks guys.. Excellent suggestions.

I'm thinking also of making some kind of stand to lift up the back of scoot out of a piece of 2X4 timber that fits under the rear shock mount. Living inner city years ago it was easy to find a milk crate somewhere and prop up the rear with that, but not so many milk crates around anymore - especially in the country. When I used to ride back in the 80's I had 12 flat tyres and 10 of them were on the rear. Man I got good at changing those things!
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Postby Norm » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:54 am

Just get one of these, fits perfectly in the glovebox:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Original- ... SwAKxWUd~U
Norm

Scooter: 2009 LML Star 150 2T
2015 LML Star RS 125 Auto
+ 3 Lambrettas

Postby Lusciousthelock » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Wow. Actually I think I will :D
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related