Cable re-use?

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Cable re-use?

Postby Philos » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:54 am

I'm wondering what my chances of removing all the cables, greasing them up and then reinstalling them are? Anyone tried re-installing used cables? It so, were there any tricks that helped?

I doubt the cables were greased when the scoot was first built, and to me that's a real no-no.
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Re: Cable re-use?

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:06 pm

I would like to do the same, but following the clutch cable hurt my head :shock:
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby mikey 69 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:54 pm

No no, no no no no, no no no no dont reuse em !
Unless you cut headset ends off and use solderless nipples the cable clamped ends will damage the inners
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby tipper » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:54 pm

I just bought a syringe with some needles from ebay and injected some lube down the outer. It saved me removing them and re-fitting them.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Philos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:19 pm

I definitely won't re-use them.. thanks Mikey.

Tipper.. I like the idea with the syringe a lot. I've got one lying around somewhere. I plan on taking the headset off soon to take a look and do a bit of a tidy up of the electrical connections and wiring in general... I'll see if I can squeeze some thick oil or even grease down the outers. The clutch cable will be interesting to try and get too... I'll grease the speedo cable up as well while I'm there.

I can't stand things that aren't lubed properly.... I worked on aircraft for years, and we would never put a bolt in without some kind of anti-seeze or lube on it... even just a dab of engine oil.. and of course all cables had some kind of corrosion protection and/or lube. I guess that's why they have a relatively long and trouble free life.
Philos

Postby marty r » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:48 am

The cables on mine had no evidence of any lube when new. I used graphite grease all over the wire and syringed thick gear oil down the outer.
“If you fight you won’t always win. But if you don’t fight you will always lose” Bob Crow.
marty r

Scooter: GP150
Star 125

Postby Philos » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:24 pm

That's exactly what I'm hoping to do Marty.

Graphite grease has a very low friction co-efficent and is great on cables in general. I've used it on old tractor speedo cables and pushbike cables with much success. It really makes a difference to the amount of friction.

I figured there's not going to be any lube on the factory installed cables, so I'm thinking I might replace one by one them with new greased cables before the old ones wear too much (scoots only done 300 kms).

Speaking of cable installation. I'm kicking myself - I went to our scooter parts supplier last week and forgot to buy some sort of tool to help with cable installation - a '4th hand' or whatever they're called. I'm not familiar with this tool... must look them up.
Philos

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:34 am

The 4th hand tool is great for installing the clutch cable but you can do the same job with a cable tie. Push the clutch arm as far forward as you can by hand and then cable tie it in that position before you tighten the trunion. Then cut the cable tie and make any adjustments needed with the adjuster.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Philos » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:17 am

What a brilliant idea!

Thanks Tipper.

It's not worth buying a special tool if I can do it with a zip tie. I'm sick of buying tools anyway.. especially ones that only get used every few years!!

Phil
Philos

Postby marty r » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:40 am

Keep an eye on the clutch cable at the engine fitting. The screw in the barrel nipple can distort the cable into a U shape and cause premature fractures. mine did. Solution is to pack inside the nipple (under the cable) until the clamp no longer distorts but clamps "on the level" if you see what I mean
“If you fight you won’t always win. But if you don’t fight you will always lose” Bob Crow.
marty r

Star 125

Postby Philos » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Yeah I see exactly what you meant Marty. I understand there are cable nipples around that have a little 'puck' inside them that squashes down on the cable instead of the thread screwing down on it and chewing away. From my fuzzy memory... didn't lambretta's have this type of cable clamp standard?

I might look into it and see if I can find some. Fairly soon I'm going to replace all my cables and it's the type of job I'd rather do less of than more. :)

Here's a question.. Do LML use low friction outer cables? You know the ones with a teflon coating on the inside?
Philos

Postby tipper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:51 am

The cable nipples on your LML should have this little puck inside,careful not to lose it,you will never ever find it again.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Philos » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks Tipper.. That's good to know. I'd better be careful when I take them off! Well I guess it's a case of 'don't wind the screw all the way out'.

Another thing I'm going to do when I re-cable is to wind out the adjusters and give 'em a dab of anti-seize. I've read a lot of general maintenance threads on this website over the past week or 2, and corroded/stuck adjusters has come up a few times. It's an easy fix really.. A stuck or broken off adjuster would be a total pain in the butt.
Philos

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 am

Yea like the good fella Tipper said, the syringe method is the way to go.

If you are going to change the inners cables simple syringe some 2T oil down the outers once the old inners are out. Then grease up the new inners and they will slide like ice! I use red synthetic grease. Only because its all ive got a bucket load of it at the mo!

Here's a top dog tip - if you have an inner cable that is universal and far too and needs to be cut down, simply solder the area you wish to cut before you cut it. This will stop it fraying to f***.

Happy cabling
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Postby marty r » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Re the tiny disc in the barrel, I have found that the threaded hole in the barrel is drilled far too deep allowing the cable to distort into a V or U when the screw is tightened. I made some additional tiny discs to go inside the barrel and under the cable so that the cable remained straight when the screw (with another disc on top of the cable) was tightened. The cable was clamped between a stack of tiny discs underneath and one disc above IYSWIM. Result = no more snapping cables.

Lambretta had similar but I don't recall ever having a problem with them snapping so possibly the threaded hole wasn't so deep.
marty r

Star 125

Postby Philos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks Laurie.. some excellent tips. Solder on the cable before cutting! I like that a lot.

Marty.. that's another good one about the hole being too deep in some of the puck type cable barrels. It's these seemingly small things that can make all the difference hey... I mean, if something like putting a little puck underneath the cable so the cable doesn't kink (and present a weak spot) has the potential to greatly extend the life of a cable, I'm all for it.

These are top tips. Thanks guys!

Phil
Philos

Postby DapperDan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:52 am

I once had a clutch cable snap just at the end of the road (lost the little cable clamp when it broke at the rear) and had no spares. What did I do? Well, you know the brass pins on a plug? Pulled one out and used that along with a cable from a mountain bike :lol:

Was still going strong 18 months later.
DapperDan

Scooter: lml star 150 2t

Postby Laurie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Yea my mate Dave used an electrical connector block when his trunion was lost!

Bloody hell the thing stayed on until his nect cable change! I bet the folk by the side of the road in India can tell us a trick or two!
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related