important

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

important

Postby nige b » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:09 pm

just rang a dealer to book star lite in for 1st service. and a couple of little warranty jobs including new speedo cable. and new indy lenses. cracked over tightened at factory. they rang moto gb, says no parts available as lml are no longer trading. so warranty worthless. dealer sending remaining stock of scooters back. as they will not sell vehicles they cannot service.
can moto gb be forced to buy back the goods?
nige b

Scooter: lml

Re: important

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Weird, I thought I had just read that they had reopened and parts supply had just started moving again?
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby nige b » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:59 pm

update from brian harris at moto gb

The Factory has been closed for a re-furb longer than expected and because of that parts have been an issue. The factory has been developing the Euro 4 specification bikes and is restarting production next week, European spec bikes will only be available in early 2017 due to the Type Approval changes. To my knowledge no dealer is sending stock back in fact most dealers are taking more stock as the Euro 4 models will be a higher RRP due to the increased production costs so the Euro 3 bikes are good value. perhaps you can tell us which dealer?
Parts ARE available although not in the quantities everybody would be happy with to be fair.

Thank you, Ron Daley has asked to swap his Star Lite stock for 2 stroke machines and is not ceasing selling the brand, again LML have not ceased trading but the parts have been an issue, by all means give us a call at MotoGB and we will get you sorted
nige b

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:26 pm

I hope that's not the end of the star lite, as I fancied getting one for the wife in a year or so (once the bugs are worked out). Maybe 2017 will be that year.
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:38 am

Its not the end of anything,this is old news. The factory was closed down for a refurbishment and as always with LML it has taken a lot longer than expected. There is a lot of speculation about what will happen when the factory re-opens but LML are definitely still trading and only had their AGM at the end of last month.

From what I can gather LML are just a bit of a pain in the arse to deal with. Shipments of parts are quite often missed or incomplete and follow up emails and phone calls are often ignored.

To them the UK market is just a drop in the ocean compared to their home market so it seems like we are often forgotten about. Its a shame because if they gave the importer the parts they needed,listened to feedback about design faults and improved their communication they would make a lot more sales over here in the UK.

Its going to be interesting to seee what happens when the factory re-opens and I am looking forward to seeing the new Euro compliant models although I have a feeling we are going to be in for another long wait.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 am

Yea Matt - that's just what was going through my mind. They really are sloppy with a lot of stuff aren't they?

I would love to grab a shipment of 2T engines - think of what could done!

I'd be quite interested to know what Piaggio are goint to do with their Vespa PX. If they continue to be anything like the one I had I'll be buying up in the good used 2nd hand market of older models.
As soon as my mate got his new 2016 PX he whipped of the runners and enamel painted the floor. I have to say it looks brilliant! Its rock sold and you'd never know its been painted as its that good! A sad thing to have to do on a machine that is £1200 more than an LML.

Just hope we can keep a few of the last ones before we lose them for good.
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Postby Robby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 pm

I still have not seen anything about LML restarting production.

Any updates?

Thanks,
Rob
Robby

Scooter: 2009 Stella 2t 150
LML Star 2t 150 on your side of the pond.

Postby tipper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:04 am

They have,kind of,in a very LML kinda way.

The factory is up and running and building the first three wheelers. There still hasnt been a shipment of parts and I dont think they are even making any at the moment. I am assuming they are running on a skeleton staff until the 3 wheeler gets some cash flowing again.

Some good news is that the 150 three wheelers uses the same engine as the star 4T 150 so what ever happens there will at least be engine parts for that model available. I read somewhere that they are also making a 200 version of the three wheeler which will also use the engine that is in the star 200 4T.

Either way I am going to start stock piling parts and crossing my fingers every time I ride that nothing breaks because its going to get increasingly difficult to find spares.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Tipper.

That is rather rotten news.....so they are abandoning the scooter biz altogether?

I guess then that I'll have to create my own parts department as well.

You say three wheeler????? what is that used for?

Rob
Robby

Postby DapperDan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:04 pm

''Either way I am going to start stock piling parts and crossing my fingers every time I ride that nothing breaks because its going to get increasingly difficult to find spares''

And this is the reason i'm thinking of changing everything I can to px parts (including the whole electrical system and loom). Reason being lml parts are generally crap, expensive and increasingly hard to find leaving me scooterless far too often.
Anyone changed the loom out? I might do it when the scoot goes off for a respray. Been advised its a bit of a nightmare.
DapperDan

Scooter: lml star 150 2t

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 am

Robby wrote:Thanks Tipper.

That is rather rotten news.....so they are abandoning the scooter biz altogether?

Rob

I dont know,I dont think they know themselves. What I do know is that the factory has been closed for nearly a year now and the UK importers havent been able to get hold of any parts or scooters.

The three wheeler is aimed at small businesses in the home market I think. Here is a little video of it.

https://youtu.be/hDPxk75rGSw
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:21 pm

tipper wrote:
Robby wrote:Thanks Tipper.

Rob

I dont know,I dont think they know themselves. What I do know is that the factory has been closed for nearly a year now and the UK importers havent been able to get hold of any parts or scooters.

The three wheeler is aimed at small businesses in the home market I think. Here is a little video of it.

https://youtu.be/hDPxk75rGSw

Thanks.....interesting, uh, contraption.....sideways engine, driveshaft, linked brakes, etcetera.

But after watching this video and several others (and not knowing the language) I'm left with the feeling this may be marketed in addition to the two wheeled stuff.
That and I can't imagine a manufacturer having the funds to just walk away from three clean sheet engine and chassis designs with the hope that one limited market vehicle can pay the bills.
That, and that is a lot of factory space for one product.

I am, however, amazed that they can shut off the lights and produce nothing for over a year with the mindset of turning the lights back on and operate as though an entire year (or more) never happened.

Like everyone else, guess we will wait and see.

For whatever it is worth, though, this machine (meaning scooters) has the strength of a HUGE aftermarket support system that will likely grow quite a bit if production really does end.

An good example of this is the fact I could build an entire 1965 Ford Mustang, including the pre assembled body, from aftermarket parts (and body) suppliers.
If there is money to be made there is someone that will take up the slack.

So, I guess we just sit back and watch, eh?

Thanks for the link tipper.

Rob
Robby

Postby nige b » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 pm

doubt it rob, autos been out 4 years and no ones made a kit for it. or any other bits apart from tassos exhaust.
nige b

Postby Robby » Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 pm

nige b wrote:doubt it rob, autos been out 4 years and no ones made a kit for it. or any other bits apart from tassos exhaust.

I was more talking about regular service parts and whatnot.

Aftermarket power adders only show up after something has been in production long enough with enough units on the road to support such a endeavor.

Frankly, I wish, as far as scooters go, LML would just produce the 200 4t (I love my 2t but emission standards aren't going away) rather than try to make so many variations, and ship them worldwide as desired.

But that is another subject.

Rob
Robby

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related