Fuel Tank removal

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Fuel Tank removal

Postby Philos » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Hoping someone can help me out with couple of questions about fuel tank removal/replacement.

Unfortunately my fuel tank is very rusty and needs to be replaced. I've a got a donor scooter with an excellent tank so i've got that covered at least.

When I pulled out the donor tank I noticed the rubber seal on the bottom of the oil tank (at the outlet) was split, so I'm going to replace it. My question is... that bracket (on the bottom of the oil tank) - what's it for? Is it meant to hold the fuel line - like some sort of guide for the line? I gather it has some purpose or it probably wouldn't be there in the first place.

Also.. the fuel line which the dirty tank was connected to is filthy, so I'm going to replace that as well. Can anyone tell me the exact length that the fuel line needs to be? I know I've read it in a thread but I just can't find it again. I know it's important to have get the length right to avoid kinks in the line.

Any other advice would be much appreciated if you have any tips for this job.

Cheers all!
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Re: Fuel Tank removal

Postby Laurie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi mate,

Whip the fuel pipe off the old tank and use it as a template to cut to the same length with new stuff.

Gates "anti-kink" fuel pipe is good but so is standard Vespa pipe.
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

Re: Fuel Tank removal

Postby Philos » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 am

Thanks Laurie.. Yep. When we get a decent day around here I'll get onto it. It took me 6 shops to find semi-transparent fuel line the other day. It looks good though.

I'm dying to get a chance to ride this thing! It's too bloody cold and wet atm - and ohh yeah... no fuel tank. And I wanna be patient here and check over a few things while it's off the road. I'll take off the horncast and top of headset to check wiring connections and generally tidy it all up. I might even disable the kill switch too and the lovely beeper, but definitely spend some time having a good look over it. I've got a donor scooter (same everything, even paint colour) and I thought the wiring in general on that one was pretty shite in a lot of places.. There were a loose connections and some botched factory splices which were very poor quality. Also the wires are just 'all over the fricken place' and really needed tidying up - especially in the headset - lots of bad routing of wires, chaffing etc..., So I'm kind of expecting the same on this one. It's all good though - I like doing this kind of 'work'. :)

I guess i shouldn't complain about the weather too much or I'll git ma hid kicked in.. lol
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related