Scootopia Exhaust and Speedo Cables.

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Scootopia Exhaust and Speedo Cables.

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:07 pm

I finally replaced my stock (derestricted non cat) exhaust on my 125cc with a Scootopia big bore pipe today and upjetted to 102. Wanted to take her out for a nice blast today and discover if I gained any top end speed. I swear to god, everytime I do a little mod to my scooter and want to test the results then my speedo cable will snap. Think I'm on my 5th or 6th since May and 2500miles. Last one lasted 125miles, the one before that just 19. They've made these scooters since 1978 surely it's about time this crap was sorted! I've tried all the usual mods and adjustemts. Straightened the bracket, packed with washers, tried different greases. Does somebody make a more robust design before I go SIP?

Anyway, on comparison with a friend from work who showed me his brand new SIP Road 2, from memory, the Scootopia looked better made (welds looked untidy and paint thin on the SIP) and was cheaper although I had to cut the box off the back containing the retaining nut as after two hours, still couldnt get it to line up with the bolt. Once modded, fitted in under 5 minutes. This exhaust also has the two retaining springs at the manifold to hold in place (I only used one- damn, they're hard to fit!). Initial starting showed it to be quieter and bassier with a low pop, pop at idle and a pleasant exhaust note when riding.

Each gear feels a lot torque-ier and longer? Hard to see actual results without my speedo to compare. It also seems to have moved some flat spots I was getting further up the rev band to near the top of each gear and I appear to have gained a little powerband near the top of each gear too. Lower down the rev band, she sounds a little bit rough and requires more throttle to clear her throat but does so smoothly and no effect on performance. Flatout down hill she didn't feel as revvy but that may have been my tall screen holding her back. Not sure yet, but deffo more power around town and for climbing hills. Really need to get out and do some plug chops as I may need to drop back to a 100 jet. So far pleased with how she goes but always want more. Hoping the wife will want to start riding this soon on L's so want to keep this as a solid 125 for now.
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Re: Scootopia Exhaust and Speedo Cables.

Postby Lusciousthelock » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 am

Just an update. Scootopia exhaust is bloody brilliant! Now I have a better quality speedo cable fitted (found an older model PX one) my scooter can manage just under 50mph in third gear! Fourth seems to be more of an overdrive gear now but in third the torque and hill climbing is fantatstic. Havent had much chance to test its flat out motorway ability yet, but with the old stock non cat exhaust 60ish was flat out. I'm sure I've gained 5mph at the top but being able to hold a solid 55/60 on the hills would be nice. Maybe its just the 102 main jet but I love how my scooter is performing at the moment. Yesterday after a 100 mile ride in the country I had a smile from ear to ear :D Certainly not a rev monster though, and I think thats down to those red polini reeds I fitted but I'm definately able to keep up with 125cc motorcycles now and out accelerate cars from the lights with a cheeky filter to the front.
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related