Who would have thunk it????

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Who would have thunk it????

Postby Philos » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 pm

This has gotta bee a one in a million....

Had a long ride planned for Friday - got all set - fuel on, choke out, ignition on - kicked her over - a couple of fires then nothing. I kept walking away and coming back (thinking I'd flooded it) and same thing - just 1 or 2 fires and then nothing again. I gave it about 15 minutes of attempts then jumped in my car to make the appointment.

So the next day I started the process..

New plug - same thing - couple of fires then dead again

New coil - same thing

Cleaned carb jets and air filter while I was at it - no difference

Checked stator coil resistances - all good

New CDI - One fire then nothing

It really had me stumped. The plug had a good spark and there was definitely fuel getting in. But something didn't feel right when I was kicking it over. There seemed to be plenty of compression, and the last time I rode it (over a week ago) it was running fine - no problems. I was racking my brains all day trying to think what it could be - and of course getting more and more disheartened about the whole scooter thing..

Well, I'd given up for the day and while I was having a 'refreshment' or 2 and cleaning up and I got this idea to check to see if the exhaust was clogged up (I had a thought maybe a little bat was stuck in there), so I shoved a screwdriver up the exhaust. Sure enough, in the week I hadn't ridden it, a wasp had decided to build a mud nest up the exhaust totally blocking it! A bit of prodding around with the screwdriver (and lots of mud coming out) and a few kicks later and off it went....

I don't think I've ever heard this one before.

Anyway.. I'm just glad there was nothing wrong even if it did take virtually all day before I found the problem.
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Re: Who would have thunk it????

Postby rob h » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:10 pm

How bizarre, especially as vespa means wasp. Obviously wasps don't care if it's an lml!!
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Re: Who would have thunk it????

Postby Philos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:38 am

^ Haha yes, I didn't see the irony when I started this thread.

Just talking around to friends about what happened, it seems not uncommon to have wasps build nests in exhausts and they won't start.. brush cutters, mowers, chainsaws etc etc... At least I know what one of the first things I'm going to check if I can't get something going will be.
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related