Tell me this is a BAD idea

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Tell me this is a BAD idea

Postby Mortadelo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Please guys, I need you to convince me:
I own a 4S Automatic. I've only rided 1000kms with her, and I've enjoyed every each of them. I mostly use her to commute to work, and it works preaty fine (except now, that I have her fixing the starter... :/).

But now I'm thinking that it would be much funnier to ride a manual, plus I love how the 2S sound. So I'm starting to think of changing my auto for a manual.

Please, tell me it's a bad idea and that I should keep with the auto...

Kind regards!!
Mortadelo

Scooter: LML Star Automatica

Re: Tell me this is a BAD idea

Postby Mr M » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Probably the best idea you have ever had ;) 2ts are great fun fast tuneable and sound like a scooter should sound , most on here will agree its where we all started .

Hippys , penguins and polar bears may tend to disagree however :roll:
Fucked if I know
Mr M

Scooter: Star dlx , 1981 PX , 1979 PX

Postby mikey 69 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:20 pm

2T !2T !2T !2T !2T! 2T All the way dude!
You know it makes sense, keep the auto for Sundays
Helpfull Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Mortadelo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Jajajaja thank you guys!
First I need to find a buyer for my auto and then I'd go for a 2T classic...
I hope penguins and hippies will forgive me...
Mortadelo

Postby MrGrump » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am

I started off with Lambrettas (LI & Jet) back in the early 80s followed by Vespas (PX) in the late 80s/90s/00s. I loved to sound the old 2 stroke engines make and the smell that 2 stroke oil produces...reminds me so much of my youth.

After a break of over 10 years I got the bug again and decided to get a new scoot. After reading some horror stories about the current PX regarding it's build quality I thought I'd give the auto a try. Whilst it's a simple 'twist and go', I find it much more nippy than an old geared scoot...however it's not as much fun to ride.

I'm like you...thinking of selling the auto and going back to a 2 stroke geared scooter...depends if I can justify it to 'er-in-doors!
MrGrump

Scooter: LML Star Bi Colour

Postby Mortadelo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:49 am

So good to see you in this topic too, MrGrump!! ;)

Yesterday I talked to the guy who sold me the auto (the manager of the store, actually). He told me that they could buy my bike again if I wanted to (we didn't talk about the price, though), but he tried to convince me not to do it. He says, from his long experience, that the comfort of an auto and the mechanic of a 4 stroke it's way better than a 2S. He said that I could go for a 4S manual if I wanted to try a manual bike, but not a 2 stroke.

Also the market it's quite limited on 2 stroke bikes here, and the ones selling are way too expensive... I saw one with 5000kms for 2000€, and that's what a new 4S manual costs here... :/
Mortadelo

Postby Mortadelo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:26 am

Guys... I've found a '88 PX 125 T5 that could take me to the 2strokes world... I know it's not a LML, but I need your opinion

Would you change a brand new auto for this oldie?? Apparently it's in a good shape, but it's been 3 years and a half in a garage, so I'd have to do a fine tunning.
Mortadelo

Postby mikey 69 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm

If its a T5 engine as well i would snap it up like a shot if in good condition
Mikey
Ps it does 70mph
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Mortadelo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Yeah...But it's 30 years old, and has been stopped for 3 years and a half... It makes me doubt...

In the other hand, I've seen a PX (new model) for the same price and only 12000 KMs.

I Don't know what to do... :/
Mortadelo

Postby Mr M » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 pm

T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5T5 you know you want to :lol:
Fucked if I know
Mr M

Scooter: Star dlx , 1981 PX , 1979 PX

Postby Mortadelo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:34 am

Hehehehehe
I really want that T5. I've seen only pictures of it and looks awesome.
But what makes me doubt it's the fact that it's been in a garage for 3 years and a half, so I don't know what I will find...

Could you guys point me whay should I check when I go see her?? :/ (I'm a complete noob on this)

Also I still have to sell my LML first, so I hope nobody gets that T5 first... :?
Mortadelo

Postby Leigh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:31 am

HI Mortadelo,

First thing would be to see if it starts, If it does you want to run it for a few minutes to get it up to temperature. The main aim of this is to see if it will tick over correctly. Your next thing to check is whether the gearbox oil is getting fuel into it. to do this, remove the oil filler car and see if anything comes out. You may need to tilt the bike slightly to get oil out, which would be a good sign. check what comes out and see if it smells of fuel. If it does, the main oil seal has gone.

Basically, with a bike that has been off of the road for that long, it's probable that the oil seals will have hardened. If they have, they will soon give way and require a full engine rebuild, so make sure you factor this into the price. For a rebuild I charge £150 labour, plus parts. A standard rebuild therefore comes in at about £250, but that relies on the crank and top end being in good condition, so I'd want to hedge my bets by getting about £400 off the full price of a running, MOT'd scooter. If the body work is in good condition, a T5 should be getting between £1,500 and £2,000, so you should be looking to pay somewhere between a £1,000 and £1,500, maybe a bit more if it's in very good condition, but maybe less if it's in bad condition.

As always though, it's worth what you want to pay for it.

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Postby Mortadelo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Leigh!
Thank you very much for all this information!!

I told the guy that if I'd get the bike, I'd buy it only with the MOST passed, so that means that the bike will start and be able to ride. Also he changed the breaks and put a disk break in the front, so that would be approved by the MOST too.
He is aware that the bike will need an "update", so he agreed that he could low the price. Now he's asking 1300£ approx, so I think it's a good price to start negotiating with.

This is the bike:
Vespa PX 125 T5
http://p.wallapop.com/i/142862646?_pid= ... =s_android
(Yes, he changed the handlebar)

He sent me more pictures (none of the engine, though) but I don't think I should upload them... :/

Anyway, I'll keep you updated :)
Mortadelo

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related