Getting to places by scooter

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Getting to places by scooter

Postby Lusciousthelock » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm

I live in Kent and was looking at scooter rallies as I have never been to one and it looks sort of interesting. I have a full licence, but what would be the most appropriate way to get somewhere like Scarborough on a 2t 125cc topping out around 60? Guessing I would be looking at 6-7hrs and that motorways wouldnt be best? So what route would work? I know its been done by lots of people, but how?
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Re: Getting to places by scooter

Postby rob h » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:42 pm

I live Near the humber bridge, so we travel the main a routes. The routes also have pubs, petrol,cafes. Could you go A1, off at Newark, a15 through Lincoln to humber bridge on a15. Humber bridge to Beverley, then follow signs bridlington, Scarborough. This way you have more chance to bump into fellow travellers, and see more. From A1 through Lincolnshire is virtually one road to the bridge. With these major rallies accommodation is booked well in advance. You will find as a new rider, 1 hrs riding will need 10 to 15 min rest, in good weather and experience 1 1/2 hours is possible on a good run before rest,
Hope this helps, Rob.
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Postby Lusciousthelock » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

I think the northern part is the easy bit. First I've got to cross the M25 and then head up the A1. Did a trial motorway trip today and I could get my scooter to 60mph on the flat easily enough, but on one large hill, was on the motorway flat out at 40mph in 3rd gear. That was with a similar sized pillion on the back (24ish stone between us). 55mph seemed the most comfortable speed but I would need to GPS that to find out the actual speed rather than LML speed. Also that was only for around 40mins rather than 6hrs. Can a 2t handle being pinned for hours? She also drank her gogo juice bloody quick too. Think I did about £6 in 60 miles (not bad but need a bigger tank lol).

Ideally, a nice 50mph a/b road going from south to north would be nice?
Lusciousthelock

Postby rob h » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 pm

A friend of ours did scunthorpe to morcambe in 2006 on a lml 125, we were on bigger scoots. He just buzzed away for hours. It was 140 miles, a real trial for him. Two up flat out on a 150 is what Vespas are made for! Not the most comfortable, headwinds and hills are an art to get right.
What about you doing Peterborough on motorway, then a15 all the way.
If you do it, you are doing what the older guys I know did. Scunthorpe to Brighton was a right of passage! A lot use vans nowadays, others travel Lodge half way. I think you should do what you want, as long as you keep riding. I have never rode standard for many years, I am chicken!
rob h

Postby Lusciousthelock » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 am

I think I've found a route that will work nicely using the A10 to get me in the right direction, then the route suggested by rob h- A1 north then picking up the A15 at Lincoln which I think will be mostly okay at an average speed of 55mph. The route is 268miles for me but will be hilarious if it works. I have bigger bikes and engines available but the 100% gurantee of making it without issue kinda spoils the fun for me. I reckon with arse breaks, stopping every 2 hours for around 30mins as I do on my usual rides then this should be doable in 8hrs. :D

This is just something I want to do, so I can say I did it- Once lol.
Lusciousthelock

Postby Leigh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Get a kit on it, it's the only thing that makes sense!! ;) ;)

Get it done properly and you can have a reliable cruiser that'll sit at 60 all day long, up hills, down hills, 2-up, whatever, and will be much more economical than the standard.

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 am

I have a fear of kits I think. I do like the idea of the stockish motor doing what it can but once you get a kit, I think I would want more and more and with the tiny fuel tank it's kinda crap, although I love the idea of that 20hp watercooled kit :D If this big metal bodied Scomadi rears it head I coul well be swayed in that direction, but I'm happy pottering about on my 125 knowing its insurance friendly and learner legal for my son next year and who doesn't love the smell of 2t in the morning?
Lusciousthelock

Postby rob h » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Remember your 125 was originally designed as a 150! Slipping on a 150 top end is a couple of points on jets, some people hardly notice any extra juice used. A three port cylinder gives you a few mph up top, but loads of torque,Two up and hills power. You would cruise at 55 mph. Who would know a 125 from a 150, they sound, look the same as one is a125 bored out by a few mm. A genuine 5 port cylinder gives even more?
When you rally on scooters you follow set routes to accommodate fuel stops. My tuned scooter will give me around 100 miles + on a full tank. I carry a 2 litre can in my toolbox just in case, which is another 25 miles plus. That's around an hour and a half riding, definite are Arse break required. I sometimes carry a 4 litre can if their are no services on a route.
rob h

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related