Neco Abruzzi

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Re: Neco Abruzzi

Postby Geezer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:02 pm

I can see a need in the market for a retro styled twist and go and in the pics these look good. But they are well over priced for Chinese scoots. I had a "Hanglong Retro" Chinese sh1t heap for a commuter, I paid approximately a third of the price of one of these things brand new all road registered. And in my mind that's the price range a non-branded Chinese scoot should be in. If people really want a TAG retro scoot then they should look more towards a second hand Aprillia Mojito Custom, they'd be alot more sensible doing that at these prices that's for sure. If they want a 50cc then perhaps the Honda Joker. I have never seen a Chinese scoot still look good after 12 months, retro or "racer" style, and am interested to see how these last at nearly £2k.
WARNING! Some slogans on the merchandise may cause offence.
Disclaimer: My posts are my personal views, they might not always be fact, but they are certainly my opinion!
Geezer
Site Admin

Scooter: 2008 LML Italia 2T Black
1961 Vespa VBB 200
1984 Vespa PK125S
On the hunt for a new project.

Postby Porkpie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Im goonna buy one,maybe tae swim wae fishes?,melt it donwn,then make two of thosse new Lammys out of it.
then im goona anuthha --rebadge it "Vespa Neco"--"Latest Modellu wi Turin"
£4799 inc vat & OTR.
Enterprising shaun...Yet to buy a decent keyboard...Oh and EX knobhead???? :D :D :lol: :P ???What??
ImageImage
Porkpie

Scooter: Maybe a LML Auto....Dunno yet.
X8 125 Gayped ....SOLD!!!!

Postby rentcollector » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I think some of you might have missed the point. This scooter is not pitched for the classic or rally going scooterist, just the ordinary commuter who love it. I have already steered away two scooterists this week in favour of the LML as they were showing signs of liking it too much. for what it is it is a premium q.a. chinese scoot the like of which we have not seen before. It is inevitible the chinese will come up the food chain with better and better bikes. if you have a good check on the Hoyonsung GV700C EFI for instance you will know what i am on about. apart from the badge the bike is more or less equal to any Japanese or North American bike pound for pound, just doesn't have the badge kudos.
The Abruzzi is not a vespa, it is not an LML, it is what it is, a modern look a likey and do not knock it until you have seen it. Unfortunately the pictures do not give it enough credit!
Mi scusi agente di mia moglie è in un albero e in fiamme può
rentcollector

Postby rentcollector » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:58 pm

oh well.... whats the point.
keep buying LML's you buggers and stop looking at Necos. theres nothing for you to see, move along!
rentcollector

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:37 pm

you heard the man...step away from the Abruzzi !!!!

:lol:
Tony
Site Admin

Scooter: 2009 LML Via Toscana
1986 Vespa T5 Mk1
1982 Lambretta GP 200
1959 Vespa VBA 150

Postby Ginger Phil » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:52 pm

There's a proper test ride/review of the Neco in the latest Scootering magazine.

They're a bit 50/50 over it. They say it looks nice, it rides well but the £1900 price lets it down mainly because take away the classic Vespa styling and it's still a Chinese scoot with the GY6 motor which can be had for under a grand.

One funny thing is they took it to a scooter dealers and asked the guys would you rather turn up on a Neco or an LML and two of them said the Neco. The rest of the staff/customers were split down the middle.

Nice to know our scoots are being compared to Chinese ones. Bloody badge snobs. :P
Ginger Phil

Scooter: 2008 LML 2t

Postby nige b » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:37 pm

not a very well done review in my opinion.
it glossed over the upgrade available. simply saying a 180 kit available. surely its a 150 rentcollector ?
no mention at all that it can be remapped for better performance.
agree its far too expensive for a chink scooter. so i'll wait till they're 2nd hand and cheap before i add one to the fleet.
the bajaj has just gone so theres a vacancy
nige b

Scooter: lml

Postby rentcollector » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:47 pm

spot on Nigeb

the article missed some points and also the scooter wasn't prepped for test. should have come to Eddy! the bump stop for the stand should have been taken off of the cases as approved by Neco to improve ground clearance. The injector is remapable to take the governors off. totally different scoot once that’s done (you can have performance or economy but not both). also the cat is removable.
The GY6 engine is available with 186cc big bore kits, four valve stage four heads, different variators pullys weights etc. The engine has been around since 1989 and five million units made, very tunable. On the GY6 forum there are guys there getting 28bhp at a true 80mph on their tuned GY6 engines. None of that was mentioned at any length in the article. However its kind of irrelevant as scooterists are not the intended market. To repeat myself this is targeted at the commuter who wont want any of the stuff above anyway, just a retro twist and go with a 2 year warranty.
now get back to yer LML's and don't worry about the Neco.

Mind you having said that if I ever see a modded up one I would probably throw up......
rentcollector

Postby Ginger Phil » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 pm

It was also interesting to see that the front indicators have been moved as I doubt there were many people who thought they looked good where they were. They're now fitted to the front rack.

Here's part of the Scootering article where people are asked whether they'd rather ride a Neco to a rally or an LML. It's blurry but just readable. :oops: Nice little dig at modern Vespa's at the end. :D

Last edited by Ginger Phil on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ginger Phil

Scooter: 2008 LML 2t

Postby nige b » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:52 pm

28 hp, tuned? good grief
nige b

Scooter: lml

Postby ElbowNi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:16 pm

No Nige that was missing a full stop 2.8hp :)
ElbowNi

Scooter: Vespa VBB (Pinasco 177, Mazz circle crank, 24g carb, BGM 22t clutch, BigBox:
LML Star 150 with Sito+

Postby Motofrog » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Look out Neco look out LML. Looking in a mag yesterday I spy Honda addvertisment. PCX 125 £2440 with low deposit and 3 years to pay. HOW can they do it. I know it's made in Thailand but it has Honda provenence and build quality. Got to be first choice for a commuter . It also does stop start at the lights just like one of those car things. Only let down is the modern look of it.
Motofrog

Postby Tony » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

yeh totally different market target mate....the "classic" look of an LML/Vespa/Lambretta is a seperate breed..mid you..if i was a commuter and was on the look out for a commuter scooter then the lml 4T would be a good a place as any to stop......
Tony
Site Admin

Scooter: 2009 LML Via Toscana
1986 Vespa T5 Mk1
1982 Lambretta GP 200
1959 Vespa VBA 150

Postby Perth John » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Got to admit Tony, defo thinking a 4t myself as a commuting machine...when I eventually get round to sitting my test...Only thing is though, starting to love tinkering with my 2t, being able to do things myself. Didn't have the confidence to do bugger all to the scoot myself, but all the lads on here gave me the confidence to give it a go & never looked back..

Soz for going off topic guys, but got the next few days off work so really chuffed...

John
Putt Putt Ding Ding..
Perth John

Postby tipper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:52 pm

John from Perth , have you fitted your 150 kit yet ?
tipper
Site Admin

Postby Perth John » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Not yet Tipper...

One of my biker pals really wants to give me a hand, he knows his way around engines & a total diy freak....he has got a couple of weeks off next month, so going to be doing it then. Plus will gve the scooter a good going over as well at the same time.......mind you he did offer to bring down a few tools to "modify" it a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

John
Putt Putt Ding Ding..
Perth John

Postby tipper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Sounds like a good idea ,

I always find it helps to have someone else arund when working on my scoot. Its another pair of hands another brain and someone to calm me down and take the hammer off me when I get pissed off/frustrated when things go wrong.

Hmmmmm I wonder what tools hes gonna bring ! :shock:
tipper
Site Admin

Postby mikey 69 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

very large technical adjusters [big hammers] if hes a greaser
mikey :lol:
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Perth John » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Man you guys have got sick minds :lol: :lol: :lol:
Putt Putt Ding Ding..
Perth John

Postby Laurie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Finally on this subject, if Piaggio had come and said to us 'We have an auto scooter in the shape of a classic' I would have said exactly the same. Go away!

Ok ok its good that its metal bodied, yea its good that its retro looking, yea its good that it is catering to a certain market, however, its bad that it has reared its ugly head on here. I now see that Scootering mag is full of adverts for these 'toy scooters'. Can I suggest that they should be in Twist & Go mag and not in our beloved Scootering mag.

Personally the name 'Neco Abruzzi' itself is ill thought and a bit 'car show room' If they would have used a bit of common sense or flair they could have named each colour option after a place in Italy, i.e Vincetta 'Turin' or Vincetta 'Milano' ........ you see where I am going with this???? No? Oh im going down the pub! :lol: :lol:

Laurie
Laurie,
Technical Advisor & Essential Running
LML Owners Club of Great Britain
Laurie

Scooter: 2003 Vespa PX200 in Baccarrat Green.
SIP Road 2, Drilled filter, 120 main jet & yep..it fly's!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related