Extra rattly noise..

Fixing stuff and replacing bits to keep your LML road worthy.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony, Laurie

Extra rattly noise..

Postby Wayno » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Hello everyone....
Hope everyone has had a little ride out on this half decent day... I'm looking for a bit of advice?

My mate and I went out for a bit of a coast road ride out last weekend, did at least 60 miles... everything is cushty, except that for the last half hour there appeared a rattly noise. This noise was akin to the stand springs rattling against the exhaust (which it didn't have for the first 5 and a half hours). The bike hasn't missed a beat all this time since. And today I've done another 40 miles, the noise is still there, hasn't changed its tone or created any extra vibration.
I have never changed or checked the bearings but have put a 150 5 port and sito+ on which is massive upgrade from standard in my book.... does pull well, which also hasn't changed in any way, so any heads up to what this may potentially be would be greatly appreciated. I have checked the stand springs already obviously and everything seems the same as always.

Cheers in advance.
Wayno

Scooter: Lml 125 2t geared

Re: Extra rattly noise..

Postby Leigh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Wayno,

Obviously it's nigh on impossible to diagnose on here, but lot of the time it's something on the frame as opposed to the engine. The toolbox door is normally a prime candidate for example. I normally check these by riding along one handed and pushing against various bits of bodywork to see if I can stop it, for example, the toolbox door, the headset, the flyscreen etc to see if I can eliminate it that way. Failing that you can try having the scooter on the stand and looking underneath whilst a friend revs the engine to see if you can recreate the sound that way.

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Return to LML 2T - Technical, Maintenance & Repair