Clutch noise

Fixing stuff and replacing bits to keep your LML road worthy.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony, Laurie

Clutch noise

Postby Hugoagogo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:30 pm

I've eventually got round to sorting out the dry snatchy clutch on my last run 2T, it's been sat unused and unloved for the best part of two years as the clutch was that bad and I didn't enjoy riding it. Anyway swapped the clutch out yesterday for a nicely wetted new clutch, today I drained the petrol tank and put new fuel in and she sprung into life surprisingly easy. She was ticking over nicely, I dipped the clutch and pulled away smoothly time after time but when I put it back into neutral and let the clutch out it now makes a vibrating type of noise which wasn't there when I first started it following the clutch replacement. If I pull the clutch lever just a couple of mm the noise goes away.
I've done a bit of googling and read all sorts of possible problems from bearings (I'm ruling this out, happened instantaneously and only done 192 km, :oops:
embarrassing I know), loose clutch nut (I fitted a new tab washer). There are a couple of posts on here with similar issues, one where the clutch cable was tightened which solved the noise for a while but then came back and another guy whose LML makes a noise whilst idling in neutral but fine in gear so he just lives with it. So do I pull the clutch lever until the noise stops then adjust the cable? Pull the clutch cover off and check the nut? Or do I just live with it? Or is there anything else obvious that I'm missing? Unfortunately it's not taxed or mot'd at the minute so I haven't been able to do anything more than pull away in first in the garden.
Hugoagogo

Scooter: LML Star 2T

Re: Clutch noise

Postby rob h » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Most vespa clutches have a whirring or slight rattle depending on spring tension, type, age of the clutch. If the clutch nut is not torqued up enough the clutch will be loose or further back on the crank spindle and can cause noise. Bearings are normally a rumble and even knocking noise/ in neutral it will be louder. For the sake of a clutch cover removal, worth checking your clutch and the clutch pin assembly inside, if the pressure plate is not clipped tight or the lever arm brass pusher worn, this causes a loud tapping rattle. good luck Rob.
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Re: Clutch noise

Postby Hugoagogo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 pm

The pressure plate is definitely clipped tight and it's not had enough use for the brass pusher to be worn, I'll give the clutch nut a check tighten and give it another whirl, if the noise is still there I'll live with it. Thanks for the reply Rob.
Hugoagogo

Scooter: LML Star 2T

Return to LML 2T - Technical, Maintenance & Repair