Replace indicator switch...

Fixing stuff and replacing bits to keep your LML road worthy.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony, Laurie

Replace indicator switch...

Postby Trots55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Sorry - old subject but I'm struggling to get the 'definitive' answer to replacing the lml indicator switch with a Vespa switch. Been through old posts but still not quite sure!

I've re-soldered the bloody wires so many times but now the wires themselves are breaking and I've re-soldered those too but it's getting to (beyond) the limit of my patience. I need to replace the wiring loom from the switch with better wires as well as the switch itself and don't want to just replace like for like with another LML one.

Soooo... if I replace with a Vespa one, although it has different connections can't I just cut the Vespa block off the end of the switch wires and solder them onto connectors that fit the LML block to rest the of the wiring loom?

Or is there an easier way to replace the switch AND the wires out of it?

Advice much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Trots
Trots55

Scooter: LML Star 125 2T geared

Re: Replace indicator switch...

Postby tondy79 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Look for a switch with the screw type connectors like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-PX-T5-I ... l-jCDbhQuQ
tondy79

Scooter: LML Star 2T 150 5 port

Postby Bubbles1987 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm

tondy79 wrote:Look for a switch with the screw type connectors like this one:

I like the idea of a hazard switch how would you wire that up with original connectors? I.e colour wise?
Bubbles1987

Scooter: Own my first 10 plate lml !!!!

Postby Trots55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:06 pm

tondy79 wrote:Look for a switch with the screw type connectors like this one:

Thanks tondy79, that looks good but I also want to replace the rubbish quality wires as well and that switch doesn't come with wiring. That's why I wondered whether buying a Vespa switch with the wiring then cutting off the block from the end and connecting the wires to the old LML block. Don't see why that wouldn't work, unless it's a bugger to get the wires out of the old block of course...
Trots55

Scooter: LML Star 125 2T geared

Postby tondy79 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Bubbles1987: From memory, it wires up the same way as the original LML switch, so as long as you track the colours as you remove the old one, you'll be good.

Trots55: Fair enough, and I can't see why that wouldnt work. If you have had repeat resoldering and breaks in the wire then you are probably struggling for enough slack anyway. If the vespa switch you are looking at has soldered connections at the switch end though, i think you might continue to get the same problem...
tondy79

Scooter: LML Star 2T 150 5 port

Return to LML 2T - Technical, Maintenance & Repair