Rear brake

Fixing stuff and replacing bits to keep your LML road worthy.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony, Laurie

Rear brake

Postby Stevewilliams27 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi can anyone help I have lml star deluxe 2 weeks old went to go for a ride went to use my rear brake very little to no brake had a go adustng it didn't work feels spongy scratching my head
Stevewilliams27

Scooter: Lml 2t manual

Re: Rear brake

Postby retroden » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Try slackening the cable off by loosening the pinch bolt, then spin the rear wheel and push the brake arm (by the rear wheel) in by hand .
If the brakes come on, then it is probably that the cable wasn't pulled tight enough.
Remember to wind the adjuster nut back in before you re tighten the cable, as this will give you extra adjustment should you need it .
One thing to bear in mind is that if this is the first time that you have done this job, it is good to have another person to help as you have to pull the cable tight and keep it taught, then push the brake arm forward so it is not making the brakes come on but very close to that point. Then you need to tighten up the nut on the pinch bolt, not forgetting to use a little copper grease on the bolt and cable.
As you can see , another person to help is very useful. Either that or grow an extra arm :) .
just one more thing, if you have done lots of miles or are very heavy on the rear brake, it could be that the pads have worn down.
Best of luck to you.
nigel.
retroden

Scooter: LML 150cc . 5 port

Postby Stevewilliams27 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks there's only 600 km on only had it 2 weeks there's a oil leek which drips on the hub could this effect it thought it was 2 stroke but think it's gear oil now I'll have ago again tomorrow tried the cable scenario today going in for its first service next week I'll point all these issues out had a few scoots and of all of them this has had all the issues in 2 weeks had clutch cable slipped 2 if not 3 oil leaks speedo cable snap and now the rear brake sounds romantic having a geared 2t looks and sounds amazing had it customized extra cost if it was old scoot you can accept issues but not on a new 1
Stevewilliams27

Postby retroden » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:45 pm

If gear oil is leaking onto the hub, it's a stone certainty that it has found its way onto the brake shoes..
I have had this problem in the past with Vespa's that I have owned and after changing the offending seals I have had to change the brake shoes too as they were too contaminated to redeem.
I hope that the work can be done under warranty as it is unacceptable that such a new scooter should have these issues.
I hope that you stick with the two stroke ( I have nothing against four strokes ). They are so iconic.
Cheers signor D'ascanio.

Good luck to you.
retroden

Scooter: LML 150cc . 5 port

Postby Stevewilliams27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks for your replies
It's going in to an LML dealer on Saturday so hopefully can be sorted its unrideable at the min
I think it is possible it is the seal and this is contaminating the rear drum shoes with oil
Agree that this defo shouldn't happen on such a new scooter
Thanks again Steve
Stevewilliams27

Return to LML 2T - Technical, Maintenance & Repair