clutch cover

Fixing stuff and replacing bits to keep your LML road worthy.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony, Laurie

clutch cover

Postby DapperDan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Got a cosa II clutch for the scooter and need to know if it'll fit in there with the original cover before I start getting my hands dirty. Both my original cover and a spare from an old px that had a cosa clutch in it both look identical internally so I'm hoping theres no difference. Knowing these scoots though there's probably a reason I'll need to change the cover. Amirite?
DapperDan

Scooter: lml star 150 2t

Re: clutch cover

Postby mikey 69 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Should be ok, tho sometimes you need to grind em inside to make it fit
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby DapperDan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Cheers, havent got round to it yet though.

Friggin exhaust bolt has seized AGAIN. Was hoping to get a new exhaust on today between the constant rain showers but no, poxy scooter has decided to be a coont as usual. Cant understand how its seized in there either since I ran a round file then a large bit through there to make sure it never happened again. Oh, and a good slap of ginger grease too for good measure.

Out of interest has anyone used a thinner bolt in there? I might just go that route and see if it cures it once and for all.

Or, maybe just take the engine out to deal, then insert a new bolt through the other way. That way it can seize in there all it wants and I can easily deal with just a nut when replacing exhausts.
DapperDan

Postby mikey 69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Copper slip, aka ginger grease, is a must on these bolts to prevent seizure. Never had them stick myself tho guess i am just lucky :lol: . Or god doesnt want to upset this fool :oops:
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

LML 125 4t

Postby DapperDan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:28 pm

You're a lucky man Mikey. I need to wrestle with these bolts every time.

Got the engine out and with a heat gun, some wd40 and a lot of patience it finally began to move. Thank god. Really didnt fancy drilling that out. I wrapped a drill bit with some rough sandpaper and run it back and forth through the hole to open it up a bit so now its a loose fit rather than the ''interference'' fit it had before (was way too tight imo)

I put the cosa clutch in and gave the engine a few turns to see if the was any stiffness from rubbing on the cover and it seems to be ok. Took the cover off and cant see any rubbing marks inside either so it looks like its a good fit with no fettling needed.

I noticed the clutch arm has a lot of play before it stops (do you know what I mean by that? pressing on the arm with my thumb before it cant go any further? seems to be a fair bit of play there) and wondered if thats normal. I think I remember the clutch did that in the previous scooter but my memory might be playing tricks on me. Does that sound nomal? I'm using the clutch spacer that was originally in there. 3.8mm I think it is.
DapperDan

Postby mikey 69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:57 am

Sounds right to me
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

LML 125 4t

Postby DapperDan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm

ok, got the clutch adjusted as well as I could, I forgot how cosa's can be a tricky sod to get just right, and I'm not happy. Theres too much free play in the lever . Its very loose. The cable is pulled VERY tight as well. (Doesnt make sense to me that the cable is pulled tight but still have a loose lever) Its the only way I could get the thing to bite just where I like it. The scoots rideable though. Just not too keen on a loose and rattling lever.

So, somethings not right. Maybe the spacer isnt enough. Should I add another thinner one? Maybe this one? https://www.beedspeed.com/vespa-clutch- ... 8lnmtm7b07

I have a px clutch cover. Will that fit these engines?
DapperDan

Postby retroden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:25 pm

DapperDan wrote:ok, got the clutch adjusted as well as I could, I forgot how cosa's can be a tricky sod to get just right, and I'm not happy. Theres too much free play in the lever . Its very loose. The cable is pulled VERY tight as well. (Doesnt make sense to me that the cable is pulled tight but still have a loose lever) Its the only way I could get the thing to bite just where I like it. The scoots rideable though. Just not too keen on a loose and rattling lever.

So, somethings not right. Maybe the spacer isnt enough. Should I add another thinner one? Maybe this one? https://www.beedspeed.com/vespa-clutch- ... 8lnmtm7b07

I have a px clutch cover. Will that fit these engines?

I know that it's an obvious question , but have you fitted the cosa type clutch nut or have you kept the original castellated nut to tighten up the clutch?
retroden

Scooter: LML 150cc . 5 port

Postby DapperDan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 am

Yeah, used the cosa nut and washer.

Got new corks soaking and a 0.8 mm shim washer for it so hopefully tomorrow I'll get the clutch back in and see whats what. Fingers crossed.

Have to admit I'm sceptical the shim is gonna make any difference. Seems awfully thin to be of much use but we'll see.
DapperDan

Return to LML 2T - Technical, Maintenance & Repair