Engine related

Fixing stuff and replacing bits to keep your LML road worthy.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony, Laurie

Engine related

Postby bigdawg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:13 pm

My lml 125 is nearly due it's 2nd service but just recently first thing it won't go above 25-30 mph unless I rev the arse of it for 20 seconds or so, it only lasts 5 mins but really annoying! Any ideas chaps??
bigdawg

Re: Engine related

Postby scunner125 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:19 pm

I usually rev my scoot for a few minutes after starting scoot with choke out ,i have my choke out for kickstart only ! Then when driving it usually takes a mile till its bang on 'sounds like ur scoots just finding itself and maybe u have choke out longer than necessary . I hope this is ur prob nice and straight forward ;) With weather milder choke is not required to be out as long as in cold weather .
scunner125

Scooter: Vespa px125 frame with
150 5 port lml engine
&
Vespa T5 172 mallosi

Postby retroden » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 pm

My guess would be the carburettor.
Take the jets out and make sure that none of the holes are obstructed with any c**p.
Have you run out of fuel recently or run very low on fuel?
nigel
retroden

Scooter: LML 150cc . 5 port

Postby bigdawg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I only ever leave the choke out for about 10 seconds before kickstart and a few seconds after! The engine did cut out last week as I needed to switch to reserve, do you think they could be air in the fuel line?? It's odd that its only when I first start it up on a morning or after work, 5 mins later it's fine!
bigdawg

Postby FROG » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Maybe just go for the simple thing first and have a look
at your spark plug, might be cruddy and need replacing ?

FROG
SAY NAY TO TWIST 'N' GAY
FROG

Postby woolfie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:58 pm

bigdawg wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, I only ever leave the choke out for about 10 seconds before kickstart and a few seconds after! The engine did cut out last week as I needed to switch to reserve, do you think they could be air in the fuel line?? It's odd that its only when I first start it up on a morning or after work, 5 mins later it's fine!

Not be air in fuel line Bigdawg if anything it'll be crap in your jets, give them a clean out.
Both my scoots take a few mins to heat up when started, I start with choke then push it in once started, then I ride up the gears quickly so not to cause any spluttering then within a few mins both ride fine.
Dont over rev when your scoots cold cause it will splutter a bit.
woolfie

Scooter: PX200
PX125/LML150

Postby bigdawg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm getting better at this but still a novice, forgive me but I bought a new carburettor and jets but have no clue how to change then! I did just change standard exhaust for a sito plus which has made a big difference!
bigdawg

Postby LambrettaMan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 am

You may need to leave the choke out a little longer than 10 secs til the engine warms up properly. Each engine's different. I've had some scoots that hardly ever need any choke at all to ones that need to stay on for a few miles. When you start it from cold have the choke fully out then as the engine warms you need less choke and can push it gradually back in. ;)

Those of us old bastards that used to have chokes in their 1st car (Morris Marina for me) will know what I mean.
LambrettaMan

Scooter: LML 165 4T
Lambretta Jet 200
Lambretta S1 150 x 2
Lambretta S3 150 x 3
Lambretta S2 150

Postby wozza56 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:00 am

I have the choke out for about 15 seconds then give it a good rev and then leave it idling while i get me gear on .By this time it is usually good to go
wozza56

Scooter: P210 2002

Postby woolfie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 am

bigdawg wrote:I'm getting better at this but still a novice, forgive me but I bought a new carburettor and jets but have no clue how to change then! I did just change standard exhaust for a sito plus which has made a big difference!

Was your old carb causing you bother?
If not change the jets for the new ones you bought (simple to do, there is possibly a step by step guide on this site somewhere, use search) because you really want to rejet after fitting the Sito+.
If you need to replace the carb its fairly easy as only 2 bolts hold it on but you also have to disconnect fuel and 2 stroke pipes and you will need a new carb base gasket. Again there is probably a step by step guide on here for you to follow?
woolfie

PX125/LML150

Postby woolfie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 am

Bigdawg look on the beginners and maintenance guide's these should help you.
woolfie

PX125/LML150

Postby bigdawg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34 pm

I meant air filter not carb, lol! I've replaced the jets but still has the lag first thing, will try the plug incase it's running to lean but can't get the dam thing out!!!
bigdawg

Return to LML 2T - Technical, Maintenance & Repair