Final run decision

The bits that make your LML go faster and handle better.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony

Final run decision

Postby Jez123 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi all, I've had my blue 125 Last Run 2t for 6 months now. I went out on it today with two mates on their Scomadi's. The LML felt quite unsafe to be honest. I've still got this snatching clutch issue which I thought would go away. I had to pull out onto a very busy roundabout with a slight gradient. I really struggled to get the scooter to pull away safely...it was either snatch and wheel spin or nearly stall. ( with oncoming articulated lorries etc )! Up hills it struggled to keep a decent speed with traffic.
At the moment it's been derestricted, drilled air filter etc and a Sip road 2 exhaust.
I have already purchased a new LML clutch from Sip and a 150 5 port head kit from Tasso. My questions are, will these once fitted sort out the problems and make the scooter better for modern traffic?
Can I just swap the clutch easily and soak the whole thing the night before in gearbox oil? Can I change the barrel, piston and head without undoing the engine bolt or shock? I have all the tools I need but will have to work outside so I want to keep things as simple as possible.
I'm looking forward to having a nice safe and easily rideable scooter, hopefully.
Jez123

Scooter: LML 125 2T Last Run

Re: Final run decision

Postby NICK » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:08 am

Fitting the top end can be done by either removing the 4 barrel studs, (which can be made of cheese sometimes!) or what I do is remove main engine bolt and lower shocker bolt and pivot engine( leave all cables etc connected, just removed rubber air intake).Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby Bowcastle » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:27 am

I agree they are dangerous to ride like this. These last runs do seem to have terrible grabbing clutches - so many seem to be the same. I replaced mine with a standard LML clutch and it's been fine ever since. I disassembled the new clutch and soaked the plates overnight. I also put a 150 LML kit on and it pulls so much better - the combination of a clutch that works smoothly and more torque makes the scooter much more rideable/safer in modern traffic and generally more enjoyable to ride. I took the engine out completely to do my kit as I wanted it on the bench to have lots of access and light on it but the other methods sound better if your're stuck for time. It turns out my last run had the larger cranckase ports which are designed for the 150 top end anyway - which confirms a growing belief that these last runs have been cobbled together using old bits lying around for years - hence the dried out snatching clutches..? :shock: :D
Bowcastle

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Postby Shaunbond » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:07 pm

This clutch issue is far from a new thing relating only to the final run badged scooters. I have had it affect 58 and 59 plate 2T's. Also seen a recent plate 4t 125 afflicted with the same issue, same clutch is used as far as I'm aware. I suspect the centre brass bush rather than the plates.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Shaunbond

Scooter: LML Star 2T 150x2, NV 150, 200 4T
Vespa PX200x2 125n 1959, ET4 125
Bond P3x2
X9 500
Raleigh Roma

Postby Jez123 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I will try and do the clutch when I can. The 150 5 port I will try with the engine in place and undo the studs. I've got a stud removing tool and brand new Vespa studs too.
The only other thing I was considering was to cut my losses and sell the scooter with all my spares and get something else but I'm better to stick with it and hopefully enjoy it.
Has anyone got the Tasso 150 fitting instructions? I asked them to email me them but I didn't seem to get them?
Cheers, everyone.
Jez123

Postby Norm » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:34 am

My 2009 2T had a nasty snatching clutch, causing it to wheelspin sometimes when pulling away. Replaced it and now it's fine.

I don't think that there's a specific set of instructions for fitting an LML cylinder. Just Google something like "fitting instructions Vespa kit" and you'll find loads of stuff, it's very straightforward.
Norm

Scooter: 2009 LML Star 150 2T
2015 LML Star RS 125 Auto
+ 3 Lambrettas

Postby Bowcastle » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Jez123 wrote:The only other thing I was considering was to cut my losses and sell the scooter with all my spares and get something else but I'm better to stick with it and hopefully enjoy it.

I would stick with it - as soon as you get a new clutch in it will feel like a different bike and you'll really be able to enjoy it.
Bowcastle

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Postby Lusciousthelock » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:11 pm

As above. I've had lots of silly faults but wouldn't sell my scooter at all. This machine is a hobby and very nearly a life choice. People ask me if I'd rather ride my motorcycle or the scooter? The bikes easier, more comfortable, reliable, faster etc. But, I love the scoot equally for different reasons. Thinking of buying another too.

I don't think I could commute on the scooter everyday or have it as my only transport, but as a pure hobby machine it's brill!
Who need's brakes? They only slow you down!
Lusciousthelock

Scooter: LML 2t 2016 Milano Red

Postby rob h » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:27 pm

I have had motorbikes and scooters most of my life, when one plays up it affects how you feel about it. I had a vespa 200 as my only transport for two years. I wore smart office clothes, commuted up to 20 miles between offices and meetings. Never let me down, loads of storage, cheap to run and maintain, maneuverable in heavy traffic. Had an enduro mbike before this, servicing and insurance became stinging amounts, tyres £90, exhaust £400!
Now run a 177 lml, changed clutch, home serviced, quality exhaust, good tyres, just like a vespa. Only snag a snapped coil bracket, and a cheap INDIAN clutch that I changed. The engine stopped at 2000 miles, under warranty had a vespa crank and quality bearings fitted. Now 8000 miles starts first time, every time, but I do check and service the scooter constantly. Bear with it mate, they are just as reliable as a vespa, I should know I went back to vespas in the 90s after motorbikes, i have had at least 5 so far!!
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Postby Jez123 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi,
I've spoken to the dealer who supplied my scooter and he has agreed to put heavy duty steels and corks into my clutch under warranty. so I will get it done,
Once this is sorted out I will fit the 150 5 port kit myself using Vespa studs with the engine in situ.
I also have a new Spaco 24 autolube carb at home, is it worth fitting as an upgrade with the 150 5 port? and if so what jets are recommended?
cheers.
Jez123

Postby NICK » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Leave the standard carb and rejet. It's what the Indians run the 150 with after all..........and me........Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby Jez123 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Ok, I'm feeling good about my Last Run again. It's going back to the dealer soon to have the heavy duty corks and steels fitted which will sort out the clutch hopefully.
I will do the 150 5 port myself and keep the original carb. As it's been derestricted with a Sip road 2 does anyone know what jetting to use when I fit the 150?
Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated with my LML.
Jez123

Postby Mcfly297 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am

What was your final outcome?
Mcfly297

Scooter: LML Star 125 2T
"One Last Run"
Milano Red

Postby Jez123 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:44 am

I still have my 125 2 t last run. The last time I rode it was 6th November last year.
I've got a load of bits for it, some I have fitted like a Vespa PX seat and grips which make it look good and will be more comfortable.
I want to fit a Sip speedo which I have complete with the Beedspeed wiring loom,
Lack of time really.
Jez123

Return to LML 2T - Modifications & Performance