Shamfering ports

The bits that make your LML go faster and handle better.

Moderators: Geezer, NICK, Tony

Shamfering ports

Postby Cherryreds » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Firstly hello and thanks for the add to this site, I've got a 2yr old lml2t which I brought from new and it's treated me well.
I'm Not new to scootering as I've had well lively and played with 200sx Lammy back in the seventies, that when you could ride up to a 250cc on a provisional license.
I've out grown the output of the standard motor am I'm looking for a cruising speed of around 60/65 I've brought the Malossi power pipe and the mk3 malossi166 kit with carb and CDi upgrades next on my to do list.
It's now worry me as to what I need to do because several sites on you tube and alike are saying that all the ports in the Malossi barrel were the piston runs have to be chamfered , I've never done this fitting other kits.
I got in touch with the supplier, who is a very well known scooter tuner and parts supplier in South Wales, he tells me there's no need and that he has fitted several kits without out any moding to the kits and had no problems.
So I'm throwing it out there to hopefully a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Please what should I do.
I'm fine with strip and rebuilding engines and gearboxes etc but I've never come across buying something from a manufacturer and then having to mess with it.
I can't get a reply direct from Malossi.
Thanks in advance and apologies for going on cheers Malcolm.
Cherryreds

Scooter: Lml 2t special 166 Malossi uprated 19bhp

Re: Shamfering ports

Postby mikey 69 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Geezer on here, had/has a malssi rev monster that he did himself and am fairly sure he matched ports etc for best results. You can bolt on and upjet, plug chopping till you are happy with it and you will get more out of it. The pinasco or polini 177 kits , in my opinion, are the best kits for these babies if you cant live with the LML 150 set up.
I have a 150 that criuses at 55/58 and tops out at a genuine 65mph, pulls up hill and down dale
Mikey
mikey 69
Site Admin

Scooter: LML 150 2011 "Dr Who"

LML 125 4t

Postby Cherryreds » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Mikey
I'm a big lad 16+stone and it's only a 125 2t , at present it bottoms out at 55 tops and it's down to 45 up hills I not looking for mental results it would just be nice to run at about the 60 mark I'm going to match the transfer and inlet ports to the casings .
It's just the chamfering of the bore ports that I've never come across before.
Many thanks for your comments
Cherryreds

Scooter: Lml 2t special 166 Malossi uprated 19bhp

Postby rob h » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Had malossi 166 fully ported, mental up to 60 mph, geared to 70+ mph. Lml are different in some ways. You tune the Vespa by cutting away metal from the engine case to the shape of the base of the malossi cylinder skirt. Fuel and gasses use the enlarged flow to produce power.a racing crank is a must for full tune. The lml has smaller fuel inlet at the crank, a racing crank doesn't work as well unless enlarged fuel port.
Lml large ports would be a good modification, 166 ports for full tune are so big extra metal could be needed due to the cutting depth. I believe in pinasco 22mm fast flow si carbs, don't need 24mm. German shops produce fast flow carbs, I think it offsets the smaller fuel inlet.
Lml large ports, better carb, malossi exhaust and 21 gearing should give 60 mph all day. Warning though fully ported cases for the malossi 166 will only give you a couple of years before constant repairs as parts fail. Mine would touch 80 mph, two years later the cases were fuked, but what fun!
The lml large ports are millimeters from the 166 porting. I would not go full tune again, large lml ports are sufficient. You can ditch electric start ring, have beedspeed lighten flywheel given 1 to 2 hp, malossi loves to rev.
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Postby rob h » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Reference chamfering the kit, just use a fine file or wet n dry.smooth the edges of the ports, and the edges of the piston rings just so when your a bit tight rings don't snag, no sharp edges.
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Return to LML 2T - Modifications & Performance