New number plate

Making your LML stand out in a crowd

Moderators: Geezer, Tony

New number plate

Postby MrGrump » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi

I've recently transferred a cherished number to my LML Star and need to get a new number plate made up.

The standard UK size for a plate is 9 x 7 (allegedly) - I've seen a few posts on here where smaller plates have been put on (usually 7 x 7)...has anyone had any issues with these size plates from our friendly traffic cops?

In addition I've also seen some of the classic black & white/silver style plates...again, have there been any issues with putting them onto a Star?

I then need to think about fixing the plate onto the frame.

The old plate was a standard 9 x 7 plate, fastened to the frame by two bolts that also secured the rear carrier to frame (only the top two pre-drilled holes were used).

Does anyone know of a suitable number plate frame for either a 9 x 7 or 7 x 7 plate that will fix to the frame using the four pre-drilled holes (145mm between, horizontal & vertical)? If I go with a customised 9 x 7 then the two holes that would need to be drilled will go straight through the lettering, making it look messy. I was thinking that if I put a frame on I could mount the new number plate with some of those ultra sticky number plate pads therefore eliminating the need to do any drilling.

Any advice would be most welcome :D
MrGrump

Scooter: LML Star Bi Colour

Re: New number plate

Postby Shaunbond » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm

6.5x6.5 fits perfectly and you can fix using double sided tape. Mines been on for a good few years with no issues.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Shaunbond

Scooter: LML Star 2T 150x2, NV 150, 200 4T
Vespa PX200x2 125n 1959, ET4 125
Bond P3x2
X9 500
Raleigh Roma

Postby MrGrump » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Cheers Shaun...the thing I have to ask myself is "do I go with a simple small plate or do I go slightly bigger and have some badges on one side?"...decisions, decisions
MrGrump

Scooter: LML Star Bi Colour

Postby rob h » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm

All non standard plates are good till your numbers up! Classic black plates are a no no on modern scoots, if you get a stickler a ticket involved a new plate and a countersignature from an mot engineer, some charge! Remember they dont have to ticket you, it could be points and a summons. If you get that one in a hundred jobsworth stopping you for a dodgy plate he will go through your scoot like a rash, what's declared on your insurance, an aftermarket exhaust not declared is no insurance, serial numbers, he could even request your scoot to be examined by vosa!
So if you are 100% sure everything is working and legal, risk the small plates.
Before you say it doesn't happen I have witnessed this numerous times over the years.including the roadside vehicle inspection! The longer back I remember they had a point, no one registered their engines, frames, scoots were sort of road worthy, nowadays it seems to be pure money making!
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Postby Norm » Sat May 06, 2017 6:22 am

I would just go with what's legal, it's one less thing to worry about. Not sure why anyone would want to put a black (pre-1973) number plate on an 1980s-style scooter anyway ;)
Norm

Scooter: 2009 LML Star 150 2T
2015 LML Star RS 125 Auto
+ 3 Lambrettas

Return to LML - Customisation & Accessories