Florida bars do not fit

Making your LML stand out in a crowd

Moderators: Geezer, Tony

Florida bars do not fit

Postby slappy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Winters coming so I thought I would fit some Florida Bars to protect my scoot if it slips on any black ice. I might be a closet mod coming out! Anway following the problems I had with my rear rack I double checked everything this time. Yes it says lml 2t and 4t should be perfect. Bought them from TSS, they arrived and guess what they did not fit. Only way to get them to fit was to fit the rear bracket backwards even then I would have to slot the holes 10mm. With there bracket in place the number plate would not fit as it was resting on the bracket lugs. Also the rear section of bar would be nearly toutching the indicator. Any crash and the bars would bend into the panel
Only solution to make a new bracket 15mm wider each side, also fitted counter sunk screws to the bracket to sit flush and not push the number plate out. To get the gap even around the panel I made two thick nylon washers to space the front out. . I was not happy with the plastic thumb screws so I made some stainless ones
New bracket sticking out more with the new thumbscrew
Better gap from the panel
Next problem was that the foot rest kept catching the back of my leg annoying. Out with the angle grinder and shorten the thing, made to more thumb screws with 6mm threaded bar on to lock every thing in place. Happy now bring on the ice/snow

With the dark nights drawing in looks like I might have to make a mudguard headlight, shame not to use a good battery.
slappy

Scooter: lml Star 200 4T
GP 200 custom

Re: Florida bars do not fit

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm guessing this is due to the 200 having a longer wheelbase.
tipper
Site Admin

Postby slappy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 pm

yeh but why sell them for 2t and 4t when they don't fit :evil: :evil:
slappy

GP 200 custom

Postby Mr M » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 pm

slappy wrote:yeh but why sell them for 2t and 4t when they don't fit :evil: :evil:

Probably ignorant of the differences :roll: Nice job of the modifications though 8-)
Fucked if I know
Mr M

Scooter: Star dlx , 1981 PX , 1979 PX

Postby Tony » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm

tipper wrote:I'm guessing this is due to the 200 having a longer wheelbase.

Or it's a common disease called moditis.........tablets available .... :D
Tony
Site Admin

Scooter: 2009 LML Via Toscana
1986 Vespa T5 Mk1
1982 Lambretta GP 200
1959 Vespa VBA 150

Postby charlieBrown » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 am

Tony wrote:
tipper wrote:I'm guessing this is due to the 200 having a longer wheelbase.

Or it's a common disease called moditis.........tablets available .... :D

If there's a cure for this ,then I don't want it :lol:
Knowledge & Talent are the gift, the true skill comes with how you impart that Knowledge & Talent to others!
charlieBrown

Scooter: LML Star 2004t, Vespa GTS 250ie

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 am

Looks like a severe case mate :lol:
Tony
Site Admin

Scooter: 2009 LML Via Toscana
1986 Vespa T5 Mk1
1982 Lambretta GP 200
1959 Vespa VBA 150

Postby charlieBrown » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 am

Tony wrote:Looks like a severe case mate :lol:

aye Tony, tablets & cream required, a bit like Canesten :lol:
Knowledge & Talent are the gift, the true skill comes with how you impart that Knowledge & Talent to others!
charlieBrown

Scooter: LML Star 2004t, Vespa GTS 250ie

Postby Leigh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 am

Whoa!! I like the stainless replacements for the crappy plastic bits!!! You should knock a load of those out and flog them if you could do them for a reasonable price!!
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Postby Robby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:26 am

slappy,

What a nice job of taking a lemon and turning it into lemonade!
Very nicely done......you actually made the kit look far more integrated than the original design.

Impressed,
Rob
Robby

Scooter: 2009 Stella 2t 150
LML Star 2t 150 on your side of the pond.

Postby DinoF » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Slappy,
I also don't like my feet hitting the pegs, but.... I also take the Mrs pillion. How about the nuts you have made having a thread insert in the centre. Then some nice knurled pegs with a threaded screw end to screw on when needed. Kept in garage/glove box when not.
You can have my idea free mate so long as I get first dibs at the ones rolling of your conveyor belt. lol

Dino
DinoF

Scooter: Vespa PX200E
Vespa PX150

Postby slappy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:25 pm

DinoF, good idea I like it, perhaps some manufacturer would do them. I cannot get the misses to go on the back., could be done easily enough, would not be cheep having them made in this country. Maybe some one in Vietnam or China could pick the idea up. :D
slappy

GP 200 custom

Postby Becks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Wish I saw this before I ordered, they have arrived and look good but obviously will now have a problem fitting them to my scooter.

Slappy, I need some of your modifications (nudge nudge wink wink!) because I am rubbish at that sort of thing.
Becks

Scooter: LML 125 Star
SIP Road 2.0

Postby slappy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Becks, try fitting them, the reason I had problems is that my scoot is a 200 4T, it appears that the 200 frame is slightly longer and that's why we have had problems. yours is a 125 so there should not be much difference. also the dimensions I made my new bracket will be different to the 125, so unless I measure it I do not know if it will fit.
slappy

GP 200 custom

Postby Becks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi Slappy,
thanks for getting back to me. I am going to give it a go in the next few days, I will let you know how I get on. Hopefully it will go ok.
Becks
Becks

SIP Road 2.0

Postby Tassoman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

slappy wrote:Becks, try fitting them, the reason I had problems is that my scoot is a 200 4T, it appears that the 200 frame is slightly longer and that's why we have had problems. yours is a 125 so there should not be much difference. also the dimensions I made my new bracket will be different to the 125, so unless I measure it I do not know if it will fit.

Who said it was longer ? The 4T has the same frame 125-150-200. Only the engine mount link is different.
The CVT Auto is the only 4S to have a different frame.
If you want a perfect fit then best to buy the official LML accessories. :ugeek:
Tassoman

Postby slappy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Quch, still seems strange that the 200 seems to have more problems, unless its us that moan more. Does this must mean that all lml 4T models will not be able to fit PX parts as ADVERTISED by a lot of dealers. As for LML accessories I want stainless steel not chrome that rusts like f--- in the winter. Also get the price down some, and more people might be interested. Some of us scooter riders have to watch the pennies.
slappy

GP 200 custom

Postby Tassoman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:52 pm

slappy wrote:Quch, still seems strange that the 200 seems to have more problems, unless its us that moan more. Does this must mean that all lml 4T models will not be able to fit PX parts as ADVERTISED by a lot of dealers. As for LML accessories I want stainless steel not chrome that rusts like f--- in the winter. Also get the price down some, and more people might be interested. Some of us scooter riders have to watch the pennies.

The prob is cheap chrome will rust, the official LML accessories are high quality made in Italy and prices reflect this. LML official rear crash bars are £112 which is not bad if you compare with the piaggio official at £125 but sure they don't compete on price against the £50 stuff from Vietnam. There are pros and cons to both and hear what you say regarding rusting but thats cheap chrome like cuppini and vigano which rusts at the whiff of water, quality chrome is much more resistant. That said a lot of so called 100% stainless accessories made in Vietnam are a strange stainless mix as I have seen some cases of them rusting around the joints? They are hand made too with no two the same, theres is no give with stainless when fitting which is why you're probably getting a difference when fitting. They can often crack too on impact as they have no flex unlike steel / chrome accessories which doesn't help when they are intended for crash protection. Having said that, they are maintenance free and if you do have scruff as you can simply sand them down and polish back up to a high shine, you can't do that with chrome. But chrome will always shine and reflect more than stainless which tends to be dull. Me personally, the less shiny stuff on my scoot the better. :lol:
Tassoman

Postby slappy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:43 pm

True to a point, even good chrome will rust in the winter if its a bad one with long spells of salty roads. Good chrome is fine if you do not ride in the winter, but if you ride all the year round not so good. When I dropped mine after hitting some diesel the stainless crash bars saved my panels. I was able to dress the scuff marks out and you cannot tell I have dropped it on that side. If they had been chrome they would be looking crap by now as to remove the scuffs would have removed the chrome. And what's more they did not crack. You are right ,some of the cheap ones might crack, like all products you get good and bad. The same with the fit, but if they are made for a different model well or badly made they will not fit, at the end of the day you pays your money and take a chance. The main problem is dealers who tell little porkeys and hope that the punter will not be bothered to send them back. Me I am lucky as an engineer I can modify and sometimes improve the stuff I have bought. Not all scooter riders are that lucky. And as I said before the cost makes a difference to some of us. Not everyone wants a shiny scoot, but sometimes racks and crash bars are fitted because they are useful. ;)
slappy

GP 200 custom

Postby Becks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Becks wrote:Hi Slappy,
thanks for getting back to me. I am going to give it a go in the next few days, I will let you know how I get on. Hopefully it will go ok.
Becks

Hi Slappy I have fitted my florida bars, not too bad but one of the cheap plastic thumb screws snapped. Did you fix the back bracket to anything as it is a bit strange to leave it there without any fixing it to anything?
Cheers
Becks
Becks

SIP Road 2.0

Next

Return to LML - Customisation & Accessories