Removing my Floor Runners

Making your LML stand out in a crowd

Moderators: Geezer, Tony

Removing my Floor Runners

Postby Crills » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Im changing my floor runners from black rubber to white. Any tips on the easiest way to do this? Do I remove the end caps? if so how? Also changing the rubber on my tool box, how do you get the tool box off?

As ever, sorry for the spaz novice questions.

Dan
Crills

Scooter: LML 4 Star

Re: Removing my Floor Runners

Postby Roondie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Just changed glove box rubbers on PX .
Small nuts on inside of toolbox 2 top 2 bottom flat headcscrew on outside.
Follow the way the old rubber is fitted,it makes it easier.

Bought white mat to save changing runners, hides cht and 12v socket wires.
Roondie

Scooter: 2013 Midnight Blue Vespa PX125

Postby glscoot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Crills wrote:Im changing my floor runners from black rubber to white. Any tips on the easiest way to do this? Do I remove the end caps? if so how? Also changing the rubber on my tool box, how do you get the tool box off?

As ever, sorry for the spaz novice questions.

Dan

SIP sell colour matched end caps.

I have a set of white rubbers on one of my scooters and the are a fcking nightmare to keep clean, in fact I will be replacing them this year. Are your rubbers ribbed ;) ;)

I would say yes you must remove or at least loosen the end caps, but I think they are riveted on, so can be a messy job. Will need drilled out and that causes scratches on your paint work. If you decide to go ahead, soak the new rubbers in boiling water first. I have done a few sets of these on other scooters and believe me its not easy and can take a full 3-4 hours, I'm also fitting the alloy runners, which have to be drilled, measured & measured again. If you decide to replace the whole lot, its best to use M4 screws, this way they can be removed more easily, rivets never secure the runners to the floor pan tight enough. I also recommend a bead of gasket paste on the underside of the runners, this stops any crap getting under the runners and scratching your paint. But I would seriously think about it first.
glscoot

Scooter: LML star

Postby Crills » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm

MMmmm youve made me think mate. Ive already replaced the plastic centre mate to white so I just thought it'd look the business with the white runners. I didnt think it would be that labourious. The ones I have are minted, so really theres no need to relplace them so I may just leave well alone.

Thanks for your input mate

Dan
Crills

Postby glscoot » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Crills wrote:MMmmm youve made me think mate. Ive already replaced the plastic centre mate to white so I just thought it'd look the business with the white runners. I didnt think it would be that labourious. The ones I have are minted, so really theres no need to relplace them so I may just leave well alone.

Thanks for your input mate

Dan

I didn't mean to put you off. Just double check that they are riveted on, If so the key is a good drill bit and correct size when drilling the rivets out and take your time. Its one of those jobs that takes twice as long as you would think. I agree it can look very good, I even had my new alloy runners polished and they looked as good as chrome.
glscoot

Scooter: LML star

Postby Shaunbond » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:32 pm

If I have read it correctly you are only replacing the rubbers. If so no need to remove end caps. GLs tip is a good one about soaking the new one before fitting.

If they aren't pre-cut cut them a little oversize but not too much as you may find yourself short when you get to the last one :o.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Shaunbond

Scooter: LML Star 2T 150x2, NV 150, 200 4T
Vespa PX200x2 125n 1959, ET4 125
Bond P3x2
X9 500
Raleigh Roma

Postby Crills » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:28 pm

It is just the rubbers I want to replace. so is it possible to remove the black rubber, and insert the white without taking off the end caps?
Crills

Postby NICK » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am

Don't see why not.Lube and patience................as the pervert said to the novice actress.................
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby Shaunbond » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 am

Crills wrote:It is just the rubbers I want to replace. so is it possible to remove the black rubber, and insert the white without taking off the end caps?

Yes :D
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Shaunbond

Scooter: LML Star 2T 150x2, NV 150, 200 4T
Vespa PX200x2 125n 1959, ET4 125
Bond P3x2
X9 500
Raleigh Roma

Return to LML - Customisation & Accessories