Interesting find..

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Interesting find..

Postby Philos » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Well I thought it was interesting anyway.. :)

The other day when putting some nylock nuts on the centre stand bolts, I noticed a strip of metal underneath right at the back of the footboard which was touching the back of the exhaust muffler. It looks like some sort of water/dirt deflector that runs across the body bent down about 45'. Hmmm.. that's not good really it's touching when you consider the engine and exhaust system are meant to be 'isolated' from the frame in terms of vibration. After all that's what the forward and rear rubber isolation mounts are there for. So, to have a part of the frame touching the exhaust is setting up the frame to vibrate also.

My scoot doesn't seem to vibrate too much (but it does a bit), so I'm thinking, surely if I bend up the strip where it touches the exhaust it should reduce the vibration that is there? I'll give it a go anyway and see what it does.

I've read some posts in the past where people have been trying to source annoying vibration in their scoots, so I thought I'd bring this up as another thing to try. Vibration's a pain in the arze... not only does it vibrate us, it also vibrates our scoots making nuts loosen and wires chafe even more than they do already.
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Re: Interesting find..

Postby NICK » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 am

Part of the frame design.Don't beat too much out of it,but I can't really see much damage being done with a slight tweak just where it is close to the exhaust.I'd try slackening and reposition the exhaust first.Cheers
NICK
Site Admin

Scooter: 2006 LML 150 5 PORT (NON REED).Mint Green

Postby Bowcastle » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:16 pm

I saw that little strip you're talking about when I was fitting my SIP2 - seemed to be getting in the way so I hammered it out the way a bit. And while we're on the subject of crude frame redesign - I used to have an absolute nightmare getting the carb cover box off and on again as it was so tight against the bodywork - so when the engine was out I hammered in and bent the frame at that point and now I can get it on and off with no fuss at all. Sometimes all you need is a big hammer. ;)
Bowcastle

Scooter: LML 125 2T

Postby Philos » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:28 am

Well, I attacked the exhaust/frame fouling yesterday after a fairly long ride. I decided I'd drop the exhaust and get some never seize nickel grease on the bolts and exhaust stub, but then I realised I couldn't get the long exhaust bolt out without taking the wheel off. So instead I pulled the bolt out as far as I could and slapped plenty of grease on it and tightened it back up.

The frame was fouling (only slightly) on the exhaust where the bracket for the bolt is welded on (on the exhaust), so I gently tapped a long flat bladed screw driver in to make a small amount of clearance. It worked great and was easy to do. After that I took it for a ride and it was obvious there was less vibration coming through.

Cool.. I really dig making little improvements like this.

Today I carefully cut off the shitty plastic grips and threw on some nice rubber ones.

Time for another ride me thinks.
If nothing's going right.. go left.
Philos

Scooter: LML Star Deluxe 150 2T 2005

Postby DapperDan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:34 am

Bowcastle wrote:I saw that little strip you're talking about when I was fitting my SIP2 - seemed to be getting in the way so I hammered it out the way a bit. And while we're on the subject of crude frame redesign - I used to have an absolute nightmare getting the carb cover box off and on again as it was so tight against the bodywork - so when the engine was out I hammered in and bent the frame at that point and now I can get it on and off with no fuss at all. Sometimes all you need is a big hammer. ;)

I've had the same bother so much so that the frame at that point is scuffed and starting to rust. I might just do the same with a hammer and piece of wood wrapped up at the end with some old rags. Always used to wonder if it was possible to ''cut and shut'' the carb top so it would have better clearance but I suppose theres not much room inside there already and if i tried it the damn thing wouldnt fit back down again properly. the only other option is to go with a super duper bellmouth type carb setup. A hammer and lump of wood is cheaper though.
DapperDan

Scooter: lml star 150 2t

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related