Winter storage?

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, mikey 69

Winter storage?

Postby Leedslad » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:05 pm

I will be storing away my scooter for a few month over the winter period,many different views on the best way to do this example, putting stabiliser into the petrol tank,disconnecting the battery,taking the weight of the tyres,covering the scooter and letting the carb empty with the petrol switch in the off position ! Any options ??
Leedslad

Scooter: Lml star 125 2t

Re: Winter storage?

Postby Robby » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Storing for the winter implies it will be in a structure of some sort and out of the weather.
This is ideal as long as the structure is essentially dry.

The fuel tank should be full and a stabilizer added........top off tank and add stabilizer, then ride to storage so the entire fuel system is treated.
Once there, shut off the fuel valve and run it dry if a two stroke.....if a four stroke, shut it off, close the fuel valve and drain the carb using the bowl drain screw at the bottom of the carb.
Loosen the screw, fuel will run out of the drain hose and when done draining, close the screw (valve).
If storage is four months (120 days) or less there is no need to add oil to the cylinder through the spark plug hole......beyond that, fogging the cylinder is a good idea.

The battery should be removed and stored elseware if temperatures will be below freezing for several days at at a time......otherwise, just leave disconnected at the negative side. Best case scenario: take it home and give it a one hour charge every week.....it thinks it went for a ride, heh heh.
Tires should be over aired to about 40 psi and the rear tire should be set on a small piece of wood (as opposed to a concrete floor).....naturally, the front tire is off the ground when on the stand.

The machine should be covered with something that breathes. A old bed sheet or something similar is ideal. Plastic covers become moisture traps and will promote corrosion so, avoid them.......If something that can breath is unavailable, leave it uncovered.....dust beats rust.

Here in Illinois, U.S.A. I go through through this every fall to preserve my nine bikes and minimize brain damage come spring.

Good luck!

Rob
Robby

Scooter: 2009 Stella 2t 150
LML Star 2t 150 on your side of the pond.

Postby ricalnic » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Mmmm, not so sure about draining fuel off, I would rather keep everything wet, than cycling through drying out seals and gaskets.
Personally, full tank of shell v-power, turn fuel off at tap. My bikes are garaged and sit on lengths of carpet/floor runners. And through winter months covered with an old sheet.

What I would recommend is giving the forks and wheel rims a rub with an oily rag, wd40, etc. Even extending to lower bodywork if you wish. ACF50 is the real McCoy and fab moisture repellent, and some on a rag wiped over all those parts will be invaluable.

Problems exist with any exposed steel, in the cold of winter moisture condensing on the cold exposed metal.

Batteries I leave in situ, and if necessary boost with a charge at beginning of season, rather than leave on any trickle charger.

Just my thoughts and personal experiences
you can only ever have two; cheap, reliable, fast
ricalnic

Postby Leedslad » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks very much for the advice !
Leedslad

Scooter: Lml star 125 2t

Return to General Discussion - Scooter related