Buying advice

Non scooter related chit chat.

Moderators: ElbowNi, Geezer, NICK, Tony, Perth John, Ian-R

Forum rules
A polite reminder taken from the full terms agreed to by each user at registration: "This is a public forum which is solely for use by members of the LML Owners Club of Great Britain. There is no commercial advertising or promotion allowed anywhere on this website in any form or by any means whatsoever. Failing to comply with this request will lead to immediate disqualification of membership. You agree not to post any commercial advertising, commercial promotion, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “LML Owners Club Great Britain - Forums” is hosted or International Law. Thank you in advance of respecting our request."

Buying advice

Postby ben72 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:03 am

Hi all

After letting my lml go last year I am now ready to get back on two wheels

I fancy something different and saw a VBB 150 close to me advertised in scootering.

I am a bit worried about something that old. The chap says he brought it from Italy last year and restord it. It has got lsome weld spots which made me suspicious it’s vietnamese - but he has a Nova cert and it has got an engine no VBB and the frame no matches. And it is 50 years old so bound to have had some repair

What do people think ? Best to avoid something that old ? I only do short local journeys

Any advice appreciated

Ben
ben72

Re: Buying advice

Postby Leigh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Ben,

One thing I would recommend either way is trying to get a test ride on a VBB before you do anything. They are a different ride to an LML and it doesn't suit everyone. They have drum brakes both front and back (some early LML's also do) and the suspension on the front is rubbish, particularly if it's been converted to 10in wheels as the wheel can hit the mudguard!!

I would also be suspicious about the "imported from Italy" line as well. Most are from Vietnam as you suspect. one of the classic give-aways is twin seats.

If it's the blue 1962 one still on Scooter Trader for £2,950, I would beware. Why has it only got 8 miles if he has spent so much time and effort restoring it?? and why just the 1 picture??

It's your money though mate!!

Cheers,

Leigh.
Another fine tip stole from Mick Maidment!!!!
Leigh

Scooter: Vespa PX125 (Polini 177)

Re: Buying advice

Postby ben72 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Brill thanks Leigh
Yes that’s the one - he doesn’t drive it he says. Just restored it as a project
Thanks for the advice. Test drive coming on Monday

Ben
ben72

Return to General Chatter