putting a sidecar on my scoot!

Making your LML stand out in a crowd

Moderators: Geezer, Tony

putting a sidecar on my scoot!

Postby rob h » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm

I have started a blog about putting a watsonian sidecar on my 2009 lml star. You can find PHOTOS at robnissy.simplesite.com, but I will be putting bits on here for those interested. It will take a few weeks as I am having to chop out a concrete gate post for a wider gate, and widen my workshop door first! My wife has recovered from a serious illness and has balance issues to the left, we have rode together for years and we finally found a sidecar. This is because you steer a vespa combo, not really to do with leaning weight.

I have had to phone various agencies, insurance companies, and I think I am now legal! I have a full licence. It seems if you want to carry passengers in the sidecar and on the scooter you have increased the number of passengers from the solo scooters so dvla have to be informed. Insurance companies must be willing to cover up to 3 passengers, include the expense of the sidecar as value of the complete set up! You must mot it as a vespa and sidecar.
The sidecars are rarer now that Watsonian Squire only do sidecar for autos now. If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them. Cheers for now. Rob
rob h

Scooter: lml 150 star 2009

Re: putting a sidecar on my scoot!

Postby rob h » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:43 am

Sidecar is now fitted, motd and after three adjustments running straight. Only problem is my gearing at 22t is too high! going to drop the clutch and downgear to 20 t. Its a wild ride, takes some riding. Over winter I think I will put a 60mm crank in with split gaskets 1,0mm and 0,5mm, base and head. Pulls away easy, lots of torque but needs the lower gearing to pull 4th in headwinds. The pinasco 177 kit seems a good match with a polini head, cant wait to try the downgear as top speed not a requirement any more!!!!
rob h

Postby Harps18TV » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Wouldn`t it be easier & maybe better to go down the 200 4T route?
Harps18TV

Scooter: 1960 Lambretta TV 175 Series 2, 2013 Star 200 4T & 1990 Honda 90.

Postby rob h » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Never thought about 4t. Lowered the gearing to 20t, uprated suspension, getting cruising of 50 mph and tops 55 mph. If I upgrade to a 60mm crank it will give me even more torque and I don't think I want anymore speed at the moment. I am currently around 12hp on a mild tune. With the long crank I will be around 14 hp. If I want to spend money and get a more tuned cylinder alloy kit, BGM or New polini I could top 16hp easily. And their reliable nowadays! More than a standard 200, which I would love but silly money.
I am old school don't know enough about the 4t, just that its a lot of money for kits, a dark science of valves etc. I can do a 2 stroke crank swap maybe alter the fuel intake over a weekend, wouldn't know where to start with 4t. God I realise how old I sound...…..
rob h

Return to LML - Customisation & Accessories